1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating legendre polynomials with weighting function

1. Jan 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I recently came across this integral while doing a problem in electromagnetism (I'm not sure if there exists a nice analytic answer):

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi}P_m(\cos(t))P_n(\cos(t)) \sin^2(t) = \int_{-1}^{1}P_m(x) P_n(x) \sqrt{1-x^2},[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

P_m(x) is the m^th Legendre Polynomial.

3. The attempt at a solution

There are lots of close integrals in Gradshteyn and Ryzhik 7.1-7.2 but nothing close enough for me to use.

One way to evaluate it would be to expand the square root as a Taylor series, and then change basis to re-expand it as a series of Legendre polynomials, then use tricks involving triple integrals of Legendre polynomials (such as those in Arfken and Weber 12.9). However this is incredibly messy and I can't see how I could get an analytic expression from it.

Can anyone think of a nice way of approaching this integral? I can't use for example differentiation under the integral because I don't know how to integrate the product of Legendre functions on intervals other than [-1,1] (and [0,1]).
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Never mind...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook