Integrating legendre polynomials with weighting function

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral involving Legendre polynomials and a square root function. The speaker mentions trying to find a nice analytical solution but struggling to do so. They consider using a Taylor series and changing bases, but find it too messy. They are seeking a simpler approach to evaluating the integral.
fantispug

Homework Statement

I recently came across this integral while doing a problem in electromagnetism (I'm not sure if there exists a nice analytic answer):

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi}P_m(\cos(t))P_n(\cos(t)) \sin^2(t) = \int_{-1}^{1}P_m(x) P_n(x) \sqrt{1-x^2},[/tex]

Homework Equations

P_m(x) is the m^th Legendre Polynomial.

The Attempt at a Solution

There are lots of close integrals in Gradshteyn and Ryzhik 7.1-7.2 but nothing close enough for me to use.

One way to evaluate it would be to expand the square root as a Taylor series, and then change basis to re-expand it as a series of Legendre polynomials, then use tricks involving triple integrals of Legendre polynomials (such as those in Arfken and Weber 12.9). However this is incredibly messy and I can't see how I could get an analytic expression from it.

Can anyone think of a nice way of approaching this integral? I can't use for example differentiation under the integral because I don't know how to integrate the product of Legendre functions on intervals other than [-1,1] (and [0,1]).

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind...

1. What are Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that are commonly used in mathematical and scientific fields. They are named after French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre and are defined by a recursive formula.

2. What is the purpose of integrating Legendre polynomials with a weighting function?

The purpose of integrating Legendre polynomials with a weighting function is to transform the polynomials into a new set of functions that are better suited for solving specific problems. The weighting function can be chosen based on the type of problem being solved, such as finding the solution to a differential equation or fitting a curve to data points.

3. How do you integrate Legendre polynomials with a weighting function?

The integration process involves multiplying the Legendre polynomials by the weighting function and then integrating the resulting expression. This can be done using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or numerical methods.

4. What are the applications of integrating Legendre polynomials with a weighting function?

Integrating Legendre polynomials with a weighting function has many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It is commonly used for solving differential equations, finding the best fit for data points, and calculating various physical quantities such as moments of inertia and gravitational potentials.

5. What are the advantages of using Legendre polynomials with a weighting function over other methods?

One of the main advantages of using Legendre polynomials with a weighting function is that they are orthogonal, meaning that their inner product is equal to zero. This property makes the integration process simpler and more accurate compared to other methods. Additionally, the use of Legendre polynomials can often provide a more efficient and accurate solution to certain problems.