Legendre polynomials and binomial series

In summary, the nth legendre polynomial P_n(x) can be found by integrating the generating function on the interval [0,1] and setting the coefficient of h^n on both sides equal to each other. This will yield the value of f(n) in terms of {1/2 \choose k} and g(n).
LANS

Homework Statement

Where P_n(x) is the nth legendre polynomial, find f(n) such that
[tex]\int_{0}^{1} P_n(x)dx = f(n) {1/2 \choose k} + g(n)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Legendre generating function:
[tex](1 - 2xh - h^2)^{-1/2} = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} P_n(x)h^n[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if that g(n) term is necessary.

First I integrate both sides of the generating function on 0->1. I can then replace the (1+h^2)^1/2 term with a binomial series. I'm not sure how to cancel out the rest of the factors to solve for P_n. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LANS said:

Homework Statement

Where P_n(x) is the nth legendre polynomial, find f(n) such that
[tex]\int_{0}^{1} P_n(x)dx = f(n) {1/2 \choose k} + g(n)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Legendre generating function:
[tex](1 - 2xh - h^2)^{-1/2} = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} P_n(x)h^n[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if that g(n) term is necessary.

First I integrate both sides of the generating function on 0->1. I can then replace the (1+h^2)^1/2 term with a binomial series. I'm not sure how to cancel out the rest of the factors to solve for P_n. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

The generating function is
[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-2xh + h^2}},[/tex]
not what you wrote (see, eg., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legendre_polynomials ).

Anyway, why try to solve for P_n? When you integrate you just need the coefficient of h^n on both sides.

What are Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that play a significant role in mathematical analysis and physics. They were first introduced by Adrien-Marie Legendre in the 18th century and are used to solve various differential equations and in the approximation of functions.

What is the binomial series?

The binomial series is a mathematical series that represents the expansion of a binomial raised to a positive integer power. It follows the form of (a + b)^n = a^n + n*a^(n-1)*b + (n*(n-1)/2)*a^(n-2)*b^2 + ... + b^n. This series is useful in calculating the coefficients of polynomials and can be used to approximate functions.

How are Legendre polynomials and binomial series related?

Legendre polynomials can be expressed as a special case of the binomial series, where the coefficients of the series are set to specific values. This relationship is known as the binomial theorem and allows for the simplification of Legendre polynomials.

What is the significance of Legendre polynomials and binomial series in physics?

Legendre polynomials and binomial series have various applications in physics. They are used in the study of electromagnetic fields, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. They also play a role in the approximation of physical phenomena and in solving differential equations that describe physical systems.

How are Legendre polynomials and binomial series used in statistics?

In statistics, Legendre polynomials and binomial series are used to model and analyze data. They are helpful in fitting curves to data points and in approximating probability distributions. These techniques are widely used in data analysis and statistical modeling.