Integration and cylindrical and spherical coordinates

In summary: That is, of course, a "solid". The integral would be taken over the whole sphere but, yes, with the constraint that z\ge 0.In summary, the conversation involves three problems involving integration and cylindrical and spherical coordinates. The first problem involves finding the integral of a function over a specific region in an elliptic cylinder and sphere. The second problem involves finding the total mass of a half cylinder with a given density using cylindrical coordinates. The third problem involves using spherical coordinates to integrate a function over a region described by a constraint.
TheSpaceGuy

Homework Statement

I have three problems and I could really use some help.
1. Integrate the function f(x,y,z) = y over the part of the elliptic cylinder
x^2/4 +y^2/9 = 1 that is contained in the sphere of radius 4 centered at the origin and such that x≥0, y≥ 0, z≥0.

2. Find the total mass of the half cylinder x^2+y^2 ≤ 9, x≥0, 0≤ z ≤ 2 with density p(x,y,z)= 9-x^2 -y^2 using cylindrical coordinates.

3. Use the spherical coordinates to integrate g(x,y,z) = sqrt(x^2 +y^2 +z^2) over the region x^2 +y^2 +z^3 ≤ 2z. Describe the region geometrically.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I just need help setting up the integrals for all of them. So If you can just do that, it would be great.

For the first problem I have so far
int(0 , 4) int(0 , sqrt (9-9x^2 / 4) ) int (0 , 1) y dzdydx
Is this right, and if not what is the correct integral.

For the second problem I have
int( 0 , pi) int(0 , 3) int(0 , 2) 9 - x^2 -y^2 r dzdrdθ
Is this right?

The third problem I have no idea what to do with it.
I know the procedure of spherical so please help me explaining to me how you got the correct integral. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The ellipse [itex]x^2/4+ y^2/9[/itex] only extends from x= -2 to x= 2 in the xy-plane so your 'dx' integral should only be from 0 to 2. The limits on the 'dy' integral a correct. The limits on the z-integral should be from 0 up to the sphere, [itex]z= \sqrt{16- x^2- y^2}[/itex]. I would have been inclined to put that into cylindrical coordinates. You did that for the second problem, which is correct.

For the third problem, is that really a cube on the z in [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^3\le 2z[/itex]? That would make it very messy!

If it were [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2\le 2z[/itex] then you could "complete the square" in z:
[itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2- 2z+ 1\le 1[/itex] or [itex]x^2+ y^2+ (z- 1)^2\le 1[/itex] which would be the inside and surface of the sphere of radius 1 with center at (0, 0, 1).

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve or the volume under a surface. In other words, integration is the inverse operation of differentiation, and it allows us to calculate the total amount of a quantity that is changing continuously.

2. What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a type of coordinate system that uses a distance from a central axis, an angle from a fixed direction, and a height above a base plane to specify a point in three-dimensional space. They are often used in mathematics and physics to describe objects with cylindrical symmetry.

3. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are another type of coordinate system that uses a distance from a fixed point, an angle from a fixed direction, and an angle from a reference plane to specify a point in three-dimensional space. They are commonly used in mathematics and physics to describe objects with spherical symmetry.

4. How do you convert between cylindrical and spherical coordinates?

To convert between cylindrical and spherical coordinates, you can use the following formulas:

x = ρ sinφ cosθ

y = ρ sinφ sinθ

z = ρ cosφ

where ρ is the distance from the origin, φ is the angle from the positive z-axis, and θ is the angle from the positive x-axis in the xy-plane.

5. What are the applications of integration and cylindrical and spherical coordinates?

Integration and cylindrical and spherical coordinates have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to solve problems involving volumes, surface areas, and center of mass. They are also essential in solving differential equations, calculating work and energy, and describing the motion of objects in three-dimensional space.