Integration by Parts (1) Help & Advice needed

In summary: You know that \frac{9}{4}\int e^{2\theta}\sin{3\theta} d\theta = \frac{1}{2}e^{2\theta}\sin{3\theta}-\frac{3}{4}e^{2\theta}\cos{3\theta}-\frac{9}{4}\int e^{2\theta}\sin{3\theta} d\thetaso if you add \frac{9}{4}\int e^{2\theta}\sin{3\theta} d\theta to both sides, you get\frac{13}{4}\int e^{2\theta}\sin{3\theta} d\theta = \frac
rocomath
Picture. I don't know where I've gone wrong :-[

Any advice on how to tackle Integration by Parts? What should I subst. with what?

Thanks!

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9348/ibpkz5.jpg​

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rocophysics said:
Picture. I don't know where I've gone wrong :-[

Any advice on how to tackle Integration by Parts? What should I subst. with what?

Thanks!

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9348/ibpkz5.jpg​

You have the right idea. This is one of those funny integrals where the answer "unfolds" to you as you move the "integral" itself to a certain side.

I'll give you a hint, you have

integral of something = crap + integral of something * constant

that integral of something, on your last line of work, happens to be the same! Now from this point, it's all algebra. Move your integral of something to one side, leave that integral of something byitself, divide by whatever constant you got, that is your answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
ie [tex] (1+\frac{9}{4})I = \frac{1}{2}e^{2\theta} \sin 3\theta - \frac{3}{4} e^{2\theta} \cos 3\theta[/tex] :)

Your basic problem is that you don't have any "=" in your last line. That's the right hand side of what you first wrote. What's the left hand side?

lmao ... i just learned how to do it Calc. 3 style :D

some drawbacks tho, but I'm still happyyy!

rocophysics said:
lmao ... i just learned how to do it Calc. 3 style :D

some drawbacks tho, but I'm still happyyy!

lol what the heck? how do you do this with calc 3

share with us

Use Euler's formula [itex] e^{ix} =\cos x +i\sin x [/itex] and rewrite the "sine" function in terms of the complex exponential. Integrate the simple products of exponentials.

It seems like that method would actually take more lines of working though...I mean, if you want to just make things more complex than they need to be, replace the integrand with its Taylor series, integrate term by term and then apply a transformation to the series to see what its closed form is.

The complex-exponential approach requires roughly the same amount of writing as integrating by parts, but you *do* get the integrals for both [tex] e^{2\theta} \sin 3\theta[/tex] and [tex]e^{2\theta} \cos 3\theta[/tex] simultaneously. The Taylor series integration is fine, too, but the set-up for the integration and the unraveling of the final expression from the resultant series is a big pain, relatively speaking.

Working with complex exponentials is tidy enough, but the preparation for the concept is a bit too involved to visit on first-time calculus students...

l46kok said:
lol what the heck? how do you do this with calc 3

share with us
i'll be glad to share :) i didn't realize that the problem i posted is one of the drawbacks, but with other types of problems, it's very useful :)

take this for example

[tex]\int x^{2}\cos{x}dx[/tex] let (and take the derivative till it becomes 0) [tex]\int^{'} = x^{2}[/tex] and (take the integral with respects to the derivative till it becomes 0) [tex]\int = cos{x}dx[/tex]

1 [tex]+\int^{'}=x^{2}[/tex] \\ [tex]\int = cos{x}[/tex]
2 [tex]-\int^{'}=2x[/tex] \\ [tex]\int = sin{x}[/tex]
3 [tex]+\int^{'}=2[/tex] \\ [tex]\int = -cos{x}[/tex]
4 [tex]-\int^{'}=0[/tex] \\ [tex]\int = -sin{x}[/tex]

now just combine and multiply the signs the derivative of 1 with the integral of 2

final answer shoud be

[tex]x^{2}\sin{x}+2x\cos{x}-2\sin{x}+C[/tex]

if none of your variables will go to 0, it kinda sucks, but there are other methods :D i can't wait to learn'em.

Last edited:
Your last line, on your working, is
[tex] \frac{1}{2}e^{2\theta}sin(3\theta)- \frac{3}{4}e^{2\theta}cos(3\theta)-\frac{9}{4}\int e^{2\theta}sin(3\theta)}[/tex]
and you were stuck there.

My point was that if you wrote out the whole thing:
[tex]\int e^{2\theta}sin(3\theta)= \frac{1}{2}e^{2\theta}sin(3\theta)- \frac{3}{4}e^{2\theta}cos(3\theta)-\frac{9}{4}\int e^{2\theta}sin(3\theta)}[/tex]
that might give you some insight! Can you solve that equation for the integral?

And I don't believe for a moment that writing only part of an equation is "Calculus III style".

rocophysics said:
i'll be glad to share :) i didn't realize that the problem i posted is one of the drawbacks, but with other types of problems, it's very useful :)

take this for example

[tex]\int x^{2}\cos{x}dx[/tex] let (and take the derivative till it becomes 0) [tex]\int^{'} = x^{2}[/tex] and (take the integral with respects to the derivative till it becomes 0) [tex]\int = cos{x}dx[/tex]

1 [tex]+\int^{'}=x^{2}[/tex] \\ [tex]\int = cos{x}[/tex]
2 [tex]-\int^{'}=2x[/tex] \\ [tex]\int = sin{x}[/tex]
3 [tex]+\int^{'}=2[/tex] \\ [tex]\int = -cos{x}[/tex]
4 [tex]-\int^{'}=0[/tex] \\ [tex]\int = -sin{x}[/tex]

now just combine and multiply the signs the derivative of 1 with the integral of 2

final answer shoud be

[tex]x^{2}\sin{x}+2x\cos{x}-2\sin{x}+C[/tex]

if none of your variables will go to 0, it kinda sucks, but there are other methods :D i can't wait to learn'em.

But on the question above, you can't apply this method because none of the variables will go to 0. How did you solve that one?

x^2 can

if it's like the question i asked then idk how

Is that Calc III? Because It's nothing special. Its just repeated integration by parts, or sometimes called Tabular integration.

yes but I'm in Calc 2, i have to do it the hell way.

Have you read my last post?

What is Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals of products of functions. It allows us to break down an integral into smaller, more manageable parts.

How does Integration by Parts work?

Integration by Parts involves using the product rule for differentiation in reverse. This means that we rewrite the integrand as a product of two functions, and then use a specific formula to evaluate the integral.

When should I use Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is generally used when the integral involves a product of functions that cannot be easily evaluated using other methods, such as substitution or trigonometric identities.

What is the formula for Integration by Parts?

The formula for Integration by Parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions in the product and du and dv are their respective differentials.

How do I choose which function to use as u and which as v?

When choosing u and v, it is important to select them in a way that simplifies the integral as much as possible. Generally, u should be a function that becomes simpler when differentiated, and v should be a function that becomes simpler when integrated.