Integration by Parts definite integral

In summary: Let \textstyle r=2\,\tan\theta, so \textstyle dr=2\sec^2\theta\,d\theta\,. So (r)=2\,\tan\thetaThe integral then becomes:2\int (2\,\tan\theta)\left(4+4\,\tan^2\theta)^{1/2}\right)\,d\theta=4\int\left(\,\tan\theta\sqrt{1+\tan^2\theta}\,\right)\,d\theta=4\int\left(\,\tan\theta\,\sec\theta\,\right)\,d\theta=4\int\left(\,\tan
raptik

Homework Statement

The definite integral of from 0 to 1 of ∫ (r3)dr/sqrt(4+r2)

Homework Equations

∫udv = uv - ∫vdu

∫du/sqrt(a2 - u2) = arcsin(u/a) + C

∫du/(asqrt(a2 - u2)) = (1/a)arcsec(u/a) + C

The Attempt at a Solution

I made u = (4+r2)-1/2

because I thought it easier to get it's derivative, rather than integral by making it dv.

du = -r(4+r2)-3/2dr

dv = r3dr
v = (1/4)r4

I've set up the equation as
= uv -∫vdu
= r4/(4(4+r2)1/2) + ∫r3dr/(4+r2)3/2

This seems somewhat similar to the the second equation I put in "Relevant Equations" (where I could put a two in the numerator and multiply the integral by (1/2), but both top and bottom are to the power of 3 (which I don't know how to get rid of. AND the bottom is not a2 - u2 but a2 + u2.If somebody could please help me understand this I would be greatly appreciative. I'd like to be able to master this type of integration, but I seem to have hit a wall.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a LOT easier if you just work it through with the u substitution u=4+r^2.

What about letting u=x^3 and v=1/sqrt(4+r^2): to obtain:
[tex]
\int_{0}^{1}\frac{r^{3}}{\sqrt{4+r^{2}}}dr=\left[ r^{3}\sinh^{-1}(r/2)\right]_{0}^{1}-3\int_{0}^{1}r^{2}\sinh^{-1}(r/2)dr
[/tex]

hunt_mat said:
What about letting u=x^3 and v=1/sqrt(4+r^2): to obtain:
[tex]
\int_{0}^{1}\frac{r^{3}}{\sqrt{4+r^{2}}}dr=\left[ r^{3}\sinh^{-1}(r/2)\right]_{0}^{1}-3\int_{0}^{1}r^{2}\sinh^{-1}(r/2)dr
[/tex]

but according to integration by parts, 1/sqrt(4+r^2) must be dv not v, if you make u = x^3. Also I did not follow how you got the sinh^{-1}(r/2) if the denominator is (a2 + u2)1/2 not (a2 - u2)1/2

I see what you did for the most part, except that last issue I mentioned. Thnx.

Okay, look at the integral:
[tex]
\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{a^{2}+x^{2}}}
[/tex]
Use the substitution [tex]x=a\sinh u[/tex] and the integral reduces down to:
[tex]
\int du=u=\sinh^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{a}\right)
[/tex]
It's a standard integral

raptik said:
but according to integration by parts, 1/sqrt(4+r^2) must be dv not v
That was what hunt_mat meant.

, if you make u = x^3. Also I did not follow how you got the sinh^{-1}(r/2) if the denominator is (a2 + u2)1/2 not (a2 - u2)1/2
That is exactly the point! If it were [itex]\sqrt{a^2- u^2}[/itex], then the integral would be [itex]sin^{-1}(x)[/itex]. But because it is "+" rather than "-" it is the hyperbolic rather than regular sine.

I see what you did for the most part, except that last issue I mentioned. Thnx.

raptik said:

Homework Statement

The definite integral of from 0 to 1 of ∫ (r3)dr/sqrt(4+r2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I made u = (4+r2)-1/2

because I thought it easier to get it's derivative, rather than integral by making it dv.

du = -r(4+r2)-3/2dr

dv = r3dr
v = (1/4)r4

I've set up the equation as
= uv -∫vdu
= r4/(4(4+r2)1/2) + ∫r3dr/(4+r2)3/2

This seems somewhat similar to the the second equation I put in "Relevant Equations" (where I could put a two in the numerator and multiply the integral by (1/2), but both top and bottom are to the power of 3 (which I don't know how to get rid of. AND the bottom is not a2 - u2 but a2 + u2.If somebody could please help me understand this I would be greatly appreciative. I'd like to be able to master this type of integration, but I seem to have hit a wall.
The integral that resulted when you did integration by parts,

[tex] \int_{0}^{1}\frac{r^{3}}{(4+r^{2})^{3/2}}dr\,,\ [/tex] is more difficult to integrate than the integral you started with:

[tex] \int \frac{r^{3}}{(4+r^{2})^{1/2}}dr\,. [/tex]

This suggests reversing the roles of u & v to the extent that you can do that. Integrating [tex](4+r^{2})^{-1/2}[/tex] will result in something with a factor of [tex](4+r^{2})^{1/2}[/tex]. In fact, although this is a little unusual, you can pick what you want v to be, then differentiate that to see if the dv which results is usable.

Let [tex]\textstyle v=(4+r^{2})^{1/2}[/tex], then [tex]\textstyle dv=r(4+r^{2})^{-1/2}\, dr\,.[/tex] This will work out just fine!

Therefore, let [tex]\textstyle dv=r(4+r^{2})^{-1/2}\,dr\ \ \to\ \ v=(4+r^{2})^{1/2}\,.[/tex]

This leaves [tex]\textstyle u=r^2\ \ \to\ \ du=2r\,dr,.[/tex]

[tex] \int u\ dv=\int (r^2)\left(r(4+r^{2})^{-1/2}\right)\,dr[/tex] [tex]\text{, and } \int v\ du=2\int (r)\left((4+r^{2})^{1/2}\right)\,dr[/tex]

The integral [tex]\int r\,(4+r^{2})^{1/2}\,dr[/tex] is easily evaluated with a simple substitution.

Related to Integration by Parts definite integral

1. What is Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is a method used in calculus to evaluate definite integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve using basic integration techniques. It involves breaking the integral into two parts and applying a formula to reduce it to a simpler form.

2. When should I use Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is useful when the integrand (function being integrated) is a product of two functions, or when the integrand is a combination of elementary functions such as polynomials, exponential or logarithmic functions.

3. How do I know which part to choose as u and which part to choose as dv?

The choice of u and dv depends on a specific formula that you can use to simplify the integral. In general, u should be chosen as the part of the integrand that becomes simpler when differentiated, and dv should be chosen as the part that becomes easier to integrate.

4. What is the formula for Integration by Parts?

The formula for Integration by Parts is ∫udv = uv − ∫vdu, where u and v represent the chosen parts of the integrand and du and dv represent the derivatives of u and v respectively.

5. Are there any limitations to using Integration by Parts?

Yes, there are limitations to using Integration by Parts. It may not always produce a solution, and in some cases, it may lead to more complicated integrals. It is important to first check if the integral can be solved using basic integration techniques before applying Integration by Parts.