Integration by parts evaluation

In summary, the solution to the integral ∫xax is xax - ∫axdx/lna. To evaluate the second term, you can use the formula for integrating a^x and simplify it using the constant 1/ln(a). The final answer is xa^x - a^x/(ln(a))^2.
delapcsoncruz
∫xax

u=x
du=dx
dv=axdx
v=ax/lna

= xax - ∫axdx/lna

is my solution right?
my problem now is how to integrate the expression xax - ∫axdx/lna
please help..

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems correct to me, you just need to evaluate the 2nd term, the integral, you know how to do integrate a^x as you've already done it, 1/ln(a) is just a constant.

The1337gamer said:
Seems correct to me, you just need to evaluate the 2nd term, the integral, you know how to do integrate a^x as you've already done it, 1/ln(a) is just a constant.

ok this what I've got...

=xax - ∫axdx/lna

=xax - 1/lna∫axdx

=xax - (1/lna) (ax/lna)

=xax - ax/2lna

is that right that (lna)(lna) = 2lna?
or it is just (lna)(lna) = (lna)(lna)

It's the bottom line as:

2ln(a) = ln(a^2)

What you have is ln(a)ln(a) = (ln(a))^2.

The1337gamer said:
It's the bottom line as:

2ln(a) = ln(a^2)

What you have is ln(a)ln(a) = (ln(a))^2.

but , was my answer correct?

xa^x - a^x/(2lna) isn't correct, xa^x - a^x/(ln(a))^2 is.

The1337gamer said:
xa^x - a^x/(2lna) isn't correct, xa^x - a^x/(ln(a))^2 is.

ah ok..thank you very much!

Related to Integration by parts evaluation

1. What is integration by parts evaluation?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to evaluate the integral of a product of two functions. It involves breaking down the product into two separate parts and using a specific formula to simplify the integral.

2. When is integration by parts used?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integral being evaluated is in the form of a product, and the integrand (the function inside the integral) cannot be easily integrated using other techniques such as substitution or trigonometric identities.

3. How do you perform integration by parts?

To perform integration by parts, you must first identify which part of the integrand will be the "u" term and which part will be the "dv" term. Then, using the formula: ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu, you can simplify the integral and solve for the original integral.

4. What are the benefits of using integration by parts?

Integration by parts allows for the evaluation of integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It also allows for the integration of more complex functions, making it a valuable tool in calculus and other areas of mathematics and science.

5. Are there any limitations to integration by parts?

Integration by parts is not always applicable and may not always lead to a solution. It also requires careful selection of the "u" and "dv" terms, which can be challenging in some cases. Additionally, integration by parts may result in a more complex integral that is not easily solvable.