Integration by parts (LIPET Or LIATE)

In summary, the conversation discusses the order of selecting functions in integration by parts, with LIPET and LIATE being two common mnemonics used to remember the order. Both are correct and the first two terms usually won't be selected together. Logarithmic and inverse functions are usually chosen as u, while exponential and trigonometric functions can be chosen as u.
Nope

Homework Statement

Can anyone tell me which one is right (LIPET or LIATE)?
Also, in trig, which one come first? sin,cos or tan?
thx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't get it

That site gives "LIATE" but I still have no idea what "LIPET" might be. In any case, it seems to me just silly to "order" functions like that.

[tex]\int udv= uv- \int v du[/tex]

Since you are going to have to go from u to du, u should be a function that you can differentiate. Since you are going to have to go from dv to v, dv should be a function that you can integrate. And, after you have tried that, see it you can integrate [itex]\int v du[/itex].

It is the order in which you have select the first term and the second term in the integration by parts, i.e. in udv, which should be u and which should be dv.
The order is Logarithmic or Inverse, Algebraic, Trigonometric and Exponential.

Last edited:
Oh, it's like a mnemonic hint on choosing u and dv. Log and inverse functions are hard to integrate but easy to differentiate, so they tend to be u. Exponentials are easy to integrate or differentiate, so they tend to be dv.

Of course you could just say to yourself, "Self! Which of these needs to be u and which dv?" in which case you will probably succeed just as often if you think about it.

Nope said:
Can anyone tell me which one is right (LIPET or LIATE)?
Also, in trig, which one come first? sin,cos or tan?
thx
]

Both are correct.
LIPET means Logarithmic, Inverse, Polynomial, Exponential and trigonometric.
LIATE means Logarithmic, Inverse, Algebraic , trigonometric and Exponential.
In the integration by parts , the first two terms usually won't come together. Either one can be taken as u in Intg(u*δv).
Any one of the last two terms can be u, because both are differentiable and integrable.

rl.bhat said:
Both are correct.
LIPET means Logarithmic, Inverse, Polynomial, Exponential and trigonometric.
LIATE means Logarithmic, Inverse, Algebraic , trigonometric and Exponential.
In the integration by parts , the first two terms usually won't come together. Either one can be taken as u in Intg(u*δv).
Any one of the last two terms can be u, because both are differentiable and integrable.

QFT that.

Logarthmic Functions are generally the best to derive, especially when paired with polynomials. Exponential and trigonometric functions tend to be bad to derive, as they have an infinite amount of derivatives... that mean something.

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule for derivatives, and it allows us to convert a difficult integral into a simpler one that can be solved algebraically.

2. How do I know when to use LIPET or LIATE?

The acronym LIPET stands for "Logarithmic, Inverse trigonometric, Polynomial, Exponential, and Trigonometric" while LIATE stands for "Logarithmic, Inverse trigonometric, Algebraic, Trigonometric, and Exponential". These are the order of preference for choosing the "u" and "dv" terms in integration by parts. You can use LIPET when the integrand contains a logarithmic or exponential function, and LIATE when it contains an algebraic or trigonometric function.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu, where u and v are the "u" and "dv" terms chosen using LIPET or LIATE. This formula is derived from the product rule for derivatives.

4. Can I use integration by parts more than once?

Yes, it is possible to use integration by parts multiple times on the same integral. This is known as repeated integration by parts. However, it may not always lead to a simpler integral, so it is important to carefully choose the "u" and "dv" terms each time.

5. Are there any other integration techniques besides integration by parts?

Yes, there are several other techniques for finding integrals, such as substitution, trigonometric substitution, partial fractions, and integration by trigonometric identities. It is important to be familiar with all of these techniques and know when to use them in order to solve integrals effectively.