Integration by Parts with a Touch of Trig

In summary: My apologies for the mistake, it has been some time since I have had to carry out this particular trick.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an integral with a fractional power in the trigonometric function. The individual asking for help tries various substitutions and identities but still struggles to solve the problem. Another individual suggests using a trick similar to the proof for solving the integral of e^(-x^2) and provides a solution using polar coordinates. However, there is a mistake in the initial substitution and the correct solution is provided in the end.
NdrSiege
Hey y'all. I'm new to the forum, and have a problem that I've been working on all night long. I'm having issues previewing the Latex, so bear with me. I'll post the work I've done so far if the problem code shows up. Thanks.

[tex]\int{\sin^{\frac{3}{2}}2\theta\cos^{3}2\theta} d\theta[/tex]

Now, the fraction power in the sin is really throwing me off. I've tried rewriting the problem like this:

[tex]\int{\sqrt{\sin^{3}2\theta}\cos^{3}2\theta} d\theta[/tex]

Singled out the sine in the square root:

[tex]\int{\sqrt{\sin2\theta\sin^{2}2\theta}\cos^{3}2\theta} d\theta[/tex]

Square rooted the squared sine function:

[tex]\int{\sqrt{\sin2\theta}\sin2\theta\cos^{3}2\theta} d\theta[/tex]

Skipping some steps (summarized): I split the cosine into two parts ([tex]\cos^{2}2\theta \cos2\theta[/tex]) and then used the trig identity to change [tex]\cos^{2}2\theta[/tex] to [tex](1-\sin^{2}2\theta)[/tex]. Put everything together and got this:

[tex]\int{\sqrt{\sin2\theta}\sin2\theta\cos2\theta-sin^{3}2\theta\cos2\theta d\theta}[/tex]

And now I'm completely lost. I'm not sure if I'm moving in the right direction or just making it a more difficult problem then it really is.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I use integration by parts here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way I can think about doing this integral requires a bit of a trick. Have you ever seen the proof as to why

[tex]\int e^{x^2} dx =\sqrt{2\pi}[/tex] ?

We will use the same trick here. As a matter of fact, you yourself have said that you don't like the fractional power, so let's get rid of it.

Let [tex]f(x)=\int{\sin^{\frac{3}{2}}2\theta\cos^{3}2\theta} d\theta[/tex]

Then [tex] [f(x)]^2=\int{\sin^3 2\theta \cos^6 2\theta} d\theta[/tex]

We'll save one sine, and then use the identity

[tex]sin^2 2\theta = 1-cos^2 2\theta[/tex]

this gives

[tex] [f(x)]^2=\int{\sin 2\theta \sin^2 2\theta \cos^6 2\theta} d\theta[/tex]

[tex] [f(x)]^2=\int{\sin 2\theta (1-cos^2 2\theta) \cos^6 2\theta} d\theta[/tex]

[tex] [f(x)]^2=\int{\sin 2\theta ( \cos^6 2 \theta-cos^8 2\theta) d\theta[/tex]

now make the substitution [tex] u = cos 2\theta [/tex] and everything follows easily from there. Once you have your solution, simply substitute back to trigonometric functions, and take the square root to return to [tex]f(x)[/tex].

Thanks for the help. I ran into another brick wall though. I worked the problem down to the part where I get this:

[tex] [f(x)]^2=\int{\sin 2\theta ( \cos^6 2 \theta-cos^8 2\theta) d\theta[/tex]

And substitute:

u: [tex] u = \cos 2\theta [/tex]

du: [tex] du = -2\sin 2\theta [/tex]

du: [tex] -\frac{1}{2}du = \sin 2\theta[/tex]

So I'm left with the following integral:

[tex] -\frac{1}{2} \int { u^6 - u^8 } du[/tex]

Which I integrate and get the following:

[tex] -\frac{1}{2} ( \frac{1}{7} u^7 - \frac{1}{9} u^9 ) \\
=-\frac{1}{14} u^7 + \frac{1}{18} u^9[/tex]

I then squareroot the entire function, because we squared is earlier. And I'm left with:

[tex]-\frac{\sqrt{14}}{14} cos^\frac{7}{2}2\theta + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{6} cos^\frac{9}{2}2\theta + C[/tex]

This looks really ugly, and when I plug it into a graph, it doesn't match up. I even tried plugging it in and simplifying it in my CAS and still no luck. I'm not asking for the answer, I just want to know if I goofed up somewhere.

Last edited:
It looks like I goofed up the Latex too... I can't seem to fix it.

Is this what you meant? (You missed a bracket after \sqrt{2})

[tex]-\frac{\sqrt{14}}{14} cos^\frac{7}{2}2\theta + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{6} cos^\frac{9}{2}2\theta + C[/tex]

Yea, that's it. My latex image won't refresh.

Remember, [tex]\sqrt{x+y} \neq \sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y} [/tex], in general

Kreizhn said:
The easiest way I can think about doing this integral requires a bit of a trick. Have you ever seen the proof as to why

[tex]\int e^{x^2} dx =\sqrt{2\pi}[/tex] ?

You meant, of course,
[tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-x^2}dx= \sqrt{2\pi}[/tex]

Let [tex]f(x)=\int{\sin^{\frac{3}{2}}2\theta\cos^{3}2\theta } d\theta[/tex]
Then [tex] [f(x)]^2=\int{\sin^3 2\theta \cos^6 2\theta} d\theta[/tex]

Are you sure that's true? That is NOT the "trick" that is used in the [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] integration you referred to.

If [itex]f(x)= \int x dx= \frac{1}{2}x^2[/itex], then [itex][f(x)]^2= \frac{1}{4}x^4[/itex] which is NOT [itex]\int x^2 dx[/itex]!

Thank you for the correction to the [tex]e^(-x^2)[/tex]; however it is indeed the trick used to solve that integral, though I admit that I did not apply it properly in this case.

The trick is indeed to square the function, giving you a product of two integrals of independent variables x and y, then to make a change of co-ordinates to a polar representation so that the Jacobian gives us an elementary anti-derivative.

For your example

[itex]f(x)= \int x dx= \frac{1}{2}x^2[/tex]
[tex][f(x)]^2 = \displaystyle \int \int xy \,dx dy [/tex]
[tex]=\int \frac{1}{2}x^2 y dy [/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{4}x^2y^2[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow f(x) = \frac{1}{2} x*y [/tex]

Which, when [tex]x=y[/tex] is indeed the correct solution.

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a mathematical method used to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves breaking down the product into two separate parts and applying the integration formula to each part.

2. How do you use integration by parts?

To use integration by parts, you must identify the two functions in the product and assign one as u and the other as dv. Then, you can use the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du to solve for the integral.

3. What is the purpose of integration by parts?

The purpose of integration by parts is to simplify complicated integrals that cannot be solved using other methods, such as substitution or partial fractions.

4. How does trigonometry come into play with integration by parts?

Trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, can be used as one of the functions in the product when applying integration by parts. This is especially useful when one of the functions is difficult to integrate.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

One common mistake is to incorrectly choose which function to assign as u and which as dv. It is important to choose u in a way that it becomes simpler after differentiation, and dv in a way that it becomes easier to integrate after integration.