Integration by substitution with radicals

In summary, the conversation was about finding the derivative of the function h(x)=∫√(1+t^3) dt and specifically finding h'(2). The conversation included discussing the steps to solve the problem using the fundamental theorem of calculus and confirming the final answer of h'(2)=-4√65.
adaschau2

Homework Statement

h(x)=∫√(1+t^3) dt find h'(2)
x^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out solving this equation by flipping x^2 and 2 and making the integral negative. From here on out, I'm lost. I've tried substituting u in for 1+t^3 and solving it that way, but I get caught up when I get du=3t^2 dt and h(x)=∫u^(1/2) du/(3t^2). How am I supposed to compensate for a t variable in the denominator? I can handle the rest of the problem if I can just find the antiderivative of √(1+t^3).

Physics news on Phys.org
adaschau2 said:

Homework Statement

h(x)=∫√(1+t^3) dt find h'(2)
x^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out solving this equation by flipping x^2 and 2 and making the integral negative. From here on out, I'm lost. I've tried substituting u in for 1+t^3 and solving it that way, but I get caught up when I get du=3t^2 dt and h(x)=∫u^(1/2) du/(3t^2). How am I supposed to compensate for a t variable in the denominator? I can handle the rest of the problem if I can just find the antiderivative of √(1+t^3).

Re-rendering your integral in tex:

[tex]h(x) = \int_{x^2}^2 \sqrt{1+t^3}\ dt[/tex]

It didn't ask you to find a simple formula for h(x). You only need h'. Look at what the fundamental theorem of calculus tells you about derivatives of integrals as functions of their limits.

If I understand this right, I'm setting f(x)= ∫√(1+t^3) dt, lower limit=2, upper limit=x
So f'(x)= √1+x^3 and g'(x)=2x. Going back to the original equation, h'(x)=-f'(g(x))g'(x)=√[1+(x^2)^3]2x=2x√(1+x^2)
h'(2)=2(2)√(1+2^2)=4√5

is that right?

Okay, so if
[tex]
h(x)= \int_{2}^x^2 \sqrt{1+t^3} \ dt
[/tex]
and [tex] \sqrt{1+t^3} [/tex] equals h'(t), then h(x)=h'(x^2)?
The solution is h'(x)=√(1+(x^2)^3) and h'(2)=√65?
This doesn't sound right, so I apologize for my ignorance.

Last edited:
adaschau2 said:
If I understand this right, I'm setting f(x)= ∫√(1+t^3) dt, lower limit=2, upper limit=x
So f'(x)= √1+x^3 and g'(x)=2x. Going back to the original equation, h'(x)=-f'(g(x))g'(x)=√[1+(x^2)^3]2x=2x√(1+x^2)
h'(2)=2(2)√(1+2^2)=4√5

is that right?

About 50% of that is right. The rest is all garbled up. Lower limit x^2, upper limit 2. Start by fixing that. And how did (x^2)^3 turn into x^2? The -f'(g(x))*g'(x) is the center of the correct part.

Dick said:
About 50% of that is right. The rest is all garbled up. Lower limit x^2, upper limit 2. Start by fixing that. And how did (x^2)^3 turn into x^2? The -f'(g(x))*g'(x) is the center of the correct part.

I already did rearrange the limits, that's about the only part that I knew to do initially. I did a little research and found that the derivative with respect to x of the integral from 2 to x^2 of √(1+t^3) dt equals -f'(g(x))g'(x) (negative because I flipped the limits). Now if f(x)=√(1+x^3) and g(x)=x^2, then the resulting equation would be h'(x)=-[√(1+(x^2)^3)*2x]=-2x√(1+x^6). Is that correct reasoning? If not, what part did I mess up?

adaschau2 said:
I already did rearrange the limits, that's about the only part that I knew to do initially. I did a little research and found that the derivative with respect to x of the integral from 2 to x^2 of √(1+t^3) dt equals -f'(g(x))g'(x) (negative because I flipped the limits). Now if f(x)=√(1+x^3) and g(x)=x^2, then the resulting equation would be h'(x)=-[√(1+(x^2)^3)*2x]=-2x√(1+x^6). Is that correct reasoning? If not, what part did I mess up?

Now that's correct. It's just that your previous post had some typos in it. So h'(2)=??

Dick said:
Now that's correct. It's just that your previous post had some typos in it. So h'(2)=??

Yeah, sorry about that, I should really learn to use the LaTeX code better. And I believe the final answer would be [tex] h'(2)=4\sqrt{65}[/tex]. There we go, that's a start. Thanks for all of your help!

adaschau2 said:
Yeah, sorry about that, I should really learn to use the LaTeX code better. And I believe the final answer would be [tex] h'(2)=4\sqrt{65}[/tex]. There we go, that's a start. Thanks for all of your help!

Sign's wrong, dude. Other than that, fine!

1. How do you use substitution to integrate radicals?

To integrate a radical using substitution, you need to first identify the radical term and its exponent. Then, choose an appropriate substitution that will eliminate the radical. This substitution will typically involve setting the radical term equal to a new variable, such as u or x. Once the substitution is made, you can use standard integration techniques to solve the resulting integral.

2. What is the purpose of using substitution to integrate radicals?

The purpose of using substitution to integrate radicals is to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. By substituting the radical term with a new variable, you can often transform the integral into a more manageable form that can be solved using basic integration techniques.

3. Can any radical be integrated using substitution?

Yes, any radical can be integrated using substitution. However, the effectiveness of substitution may vary depending on the complexity of the integral and the chosen substitution. In some cases, multiple substitutions may be necessary to fully integrate a radical term.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using substitution to integrate radicals?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to account for the differential when performing the substitution. It is important to replace the differential with the appropriate differential of the substituted variable, such as du or dx. Another mistake to avoid is choosing an ineffective substitution that does not eliminate the radical term, resulting in a more complex integral.

5. How can I check if my integration by substitution with radicals is correct?

You can check your integration by substituting the original variable back into the integral and verifying that the result is equal to the original integral. Additionally, you can differentiate your solution to see if it yields the original integrand. If both of these checks are satisfied, then your integration is likely correct.