Help with Integrating: x^11 e^x / 5x^6

• Thread starter confused88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses integrating the function -1/5x^11e^x/5x^6 and the attempt at a solution using integration by parts. The speaker simplifies the function and performs integration by parts, but encounters difficulty and asks for guidance.
confused88

Homework Statement

Can Someone Please Help me integrate the following please...

Homework Equations

- [tex]\int[/tex] x^11 e^x [tex]/[/tex] 5x^6

The Attempt at a Solution

firstly i simplified it to...

-1/5 [tex]\int[/tex] x^5 e^x [tex]/[/tex] 5

Then i did integration by parts,
u = x^5, du = 5x^4, v= e^x, dv= e^x

So i got,

-1/5 [ x^5 e^x [tex]\int[/tex] e^x 5x^4 + C

-1/5 [x^5 e^x - x^5 e^x + C ]

= -1/5C

And this seems insanely wrong :(

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int[/tex]5x[tex]^{4}[/tex]e[tex]^{x}[/tex]dx [tex]\neq[/tex] x[tex]^{5}[/tex]e[tex]^{x}[/tex]+C

You're going to have to use integration by parts a few more times...

Is there an easier way to do it? Or is integration by parts the only way?

I'd say integration by parts is the best way if not the only way. It will be good practice! Good luck and remember to have fun :)

hehe okies thanks!

1. What is the best method for integrating x^11 e^x / 5x^6?

The best method for integrating x^11 e^x / 5x^6 is to use integration by parts, where one part of the function is chosen as the u term and the other part as the dv term. This method can be used repeatedly until the integrand is simplified to a form that can be easily integrated.

2. How do I choose which part of the function to use as the u term in integration by parts?

The general rule for choosing the u term is to select the part of the function that becomes simpler or has a lower degree when differentiated. In this case, the u term should be x^11, as it becomes x^10 when differentiated, while e^x remains unchanged.

3. Can I use substitution to integrate x^11 e^x / 5x^6?

Substitution can also be used to integrate x^11 e^x / 5x^6, but it may result in a more complex integral. It is recommended to use integration by parts for this particular function.

4. Is there a shortcut or trick to integrate x^11 e^x / 5x^6?

There is no shortcut or trick for integrating x^11 e^x / 5x^6, but understanding the properties of exponential and polynomial functions can make the integration process easier.

5. Are there any online tools or resources that can help with integrating x^11 e^x / 5x^6?

Yes, there are various online integration calculators and resources that can assist with integrating x^11 e^x / 5x^6. They can provide step-by-step solutions and explanations for the integration process.