How do I integrate a definite integral with variable limits and constants?

In summary, the book suggests integrating a function with a definite integral from 0 to 1.5 using the function .366 (k + 1.077) g PII.
lauriecherie

Homework Statement

can someone please explain to me how to intergrate this:

the definite integral from 0 to PI of (.25*PI) (1+kh) g (h + .2) dh

I can leave g, PI, and k in the formula.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you attempted? Do you know how to integrate polynomials?

I'm not sure what I need to do. The k is what's causing me problems. I tried factoring but that got me no where. Can you explain what I need to do or explain to me how the book got this answer to this integral? This one of course isn't my problem but can you explain how they intergrated this one? It is similar to the one I need to solve.

The definite integral from 0 to 1.5 of (.25 * PI) (1 + kh) g (h + 0.3) dh

The answer: .366 (k + 1.077) gPI

Integrate the function with respect to h and then insert the upper value of the integral for h and then do the same for the lower value of the integral and subtract the two.

Remember that constants come outside the integral.

Ok so I can pull out PI, g, and .25? Or just PI and g?

And do i distribute (1 + kh) * (h + .2)?

Is k a constant (A number which does not depend on the variable of integration h)? If so, remember this rule of integration of two integrable functions f and g:
[tex]\int (f + g) = \int f + \int g[/tex]
and if k is a constant:
[tex]\int kf = k\int f[/tex]
Also, remember the power rule of differentiation:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(x^n) = nx^{n-1}[/tex]
from which we get:
[tex]\int x^n dx = \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1} + C[/tex]
where C is an arbitrary constant of integration.
The best course of action is then to multiply everything out so that you are left with a polynomial, where you can integrate each term in the sum separately.

So I'm getting...

.25*PI*g * (The definite integral from 0 to 1.5 of (h + kh^2 + .2 + .2kh).

I don't know what to do with this k.

If I integrate I'm getting

.25*PI*g * { (h^2/2) + ((kh^3)/(3)) + (.2h) + (.1k*h^2)} evaluated from 0 to 1.5

Looks good, now just evaluate it with the limits 0 to 1.5.

1. What is integration in solving work?

Integration in solving work refers to the process of combining or merging different pieces of information or ideas to come up with a solution to a problem. It involves breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and then finding connections between them to reach a comprehensive solution.

2. Why is integration important in problem-solving?

Integration is important in problem-solving because it allows us to look at a problem from different perspectives and consider various factors that may contribute to the solution. By integrating different ideas and information, we can come up with more effective and well-rounded solutions that address all aspects of the problem.

3. How do you integrate different ideas in problem-solving?

The process of integrating different ideas in problem-solving involves breaking down the problem into smaller parts, analyzing each part separately, and then finding connections and relationships between them. This can be done through brainstorming, research, and critical thinking to identify common themes or patterns.

4. What are some common challenges in integrating ideas for problem-solving?

Some common challenges in integrating ideas for problem-solving include conflicting information, bias, and lack of communication between team members. It is important to acknowledge and address these challenges to ensure that all ideas are considered and integrated effectively.

5. How can integration improve the problem-solving process?

Integration can improve the problem-solving process by providing a more comprehensive understanding of the problem and potential solutions. It also encourages collaboration and creativity, as different perspectives and ideas are brought together to find the best solution. Integration can also help to identify any gaps or weaknesses in the proposed solution, allowing for a more thorough and effective problem-solving approach.