Integration of a func raised to a fraction

In summary, the conversation is about solving a difficult integral by using substitution and integration by parts techniques. The problem involves a fractional power and requires a clever substitution to make it easier to integrate. One person suggests using u-substitution and another person suggests using integration by parts, but both methods require careful manipulation of the integral and its differential. The conversation ends with the participants still unsure of how to proceed.
[tex]-\int 1-u u^\frac{1}{7}du[/tex] or [tex]-\int 1-u^\frac{2}{7}du[/tex]?

Still stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, x is getting multiplied by u^(1/7) so with whatever we replace x that something needs to be multiplied by u^(1/7) as a whole. What you have done here is multiplying only a part of x instead of all of it.

To break it down in a number example this is what you've done. We have two numbers 5=1+4 and 6. We want to multiply them together.
5*6=30
Now we do it your way by replacing 5 with 1+4, which should be perfectly valid.
5*6=1+4*6=25?

Do you see what's going wrong now?

I understand it completely in the example you gave, not 100% sure about in the integral. In this case, we have x and u which we want to multiply together. and x=1-u.

so for the above example, x*u=xu
and I'm doing it x*u= (1-u)(u) = (u-u^2)=-u?

i basically just tried pluging our variables into your example, didnt quite work out i don't think.

mg0stisha said:
[tex]-\int 1-u u^\frac{1}{7}du[/tex] or [tex]-\int 1-u^\frac{2}{7}du[/tex]?

Still stuck.

The first integral is so close to correct. You are correct that u = 1 - x implies x = 1 - u. When you substitute, it is always a good idea to encapsulate the substituted expression in parentheses in order to avoid sign and distribution errors (which is what happened here).

Once parentheses are put in the proper place, this integral should sail to the answer.

--Elucidus

[tex]-\int (1-u) u^\frac{1}{7}du[/tex]

Can you simply just integrate and simplify from here?

mg0stisha said:
[tex]-\int (1-u) u^\frac{1}{7}du[/tex]

Can you simply just integrate and simplify from here?

Well, simplify (distribute), integrate (power rule), and then revert to the original context of x, yes.

--Elucidus

And by distributing all I'm coming up with is u^(1/7) - u^(2/7) du...

mg0stisha said:

Be careful, [itex]u=u^1=u^{(7/7)}[/itex]

--Elucidus

mg0stisha said:

1 + 1/7 is not 2/7 man.. :frown: Be careful.. After distributing, hopefully, you can go from there, right?

Yes, I can integrate this easily after i distribute, I'm not sure why I'm having such a hard time:rolleyes:

[tex]\int u^\frac{7}{7}-u^\frac{8}{7}du = \int -u^\frac{1}{7}du = -\int u^\frac{1}{7}du[/tex]

Integrating gives [tex]\frac{u^\frac{8}{7}}{7}u[/tex] or [tex] \frac{u^\frac{15}{7}}{7}[/tex]

yes or no?

I don't want to put you down, but your issues are not with calculus. The problem is that your mathematical basis seems very weak. You should really review symbolic/fractional subtraction,multiplication,division and addition.

Lets provide you with an example again. Take x^4 and x^2. According to you x^4-x^2=x^2. Let's write it out:

x*x*x*x-x*x=x*x

That certainly doesn't look right, let's put in a number, 2.
2*2*2*2-2*2=12!=4
You cannot simplify that expression.

If they had been multiplied then you could simplify the expression.
Example:
x^4*x^2=(x*x*x*x)*(x*x)=x*x*x*x*x*x=x^6

This is the integral you want to evaluate:
[tex]
-\int u^\frac{1}{7}-u^\frac{8}{7}du=\int -u^\frac{1}{7}du+\int u^\frac{8}{7}du [/tex]
There is no more simplification to be done from this point, you can integrate the fractional terms in the same way you integrate an expression like u^2.

Last edited:
Know of anyway I can do that before I start my calc class Monday?

Maybe this page is useful to you http://online.math.uh.edu/Math1330/index.html .

On another note how's the integral going?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Well the first integral would be (u^(-2))/2 I believe, and I think the secnd one would be (u^(15/7))/7 ? I wouldve typed it in LaTeX but I'm on my phone, sorry.

Small snag in your plans, methinks.

[tex](1-u)u^{1/7} \neq u^{7/7}-u^{8/7}.[/tex]

In slow motion, the distribution goes:

[tex](1-u)u^{1/7} = (1)(u^{1/7})-(u)(u^{1/7}).[/tex]

Can you get the rest of the way?

--Elucidus

[tex](1)(u^\frac{1}{7})=u^\frac{1}{7}[/tex]
[tex](u)(u^\frac{1}{7})=u^\frac{8}{7}[/tex]
therefore we have
[tex]u^\frac{1}{7}-u^\frac{8}{7}[/tex]

mg0stisha said:
[tex](1)(u^\frac{1}{7})=u^\frac{1}{7}[/tex]
[tex](u)(u^\frac{1}{7})=u^\frac{8}{7}[/tex]
therefore we have
[tex]u^\frac{1}{7}-u^\frac{8}{7}[/tex]

And if you integrate this, what will you get? Note that:

[tex]\int x ^ {\alpha} dx = \frac{x ^ {\alpha + 1}}{\alpha + 1} + C, \mbox{ where } \alpha \in \mathbb{R} \backslash \{ - 1\}[/tex].

So we'll integrate [tex]\int u^\frac{1}{7}du - \int u^\frac{8}{7}du[/tex]

and we get [tex]\frac{7u^\frac{8}{7}}{8} - \frac{7u^\frac{15}{7}}{15}[/tex] correct?

Hopefully.

mg0stisha said:
So we'll integrate [tex]\int u^\frac{1}{7}du - \int u^\frac{8}{7}du[/tex]

and we get [tex]\frac{7u^\frac{8}{7}}{8} - \frac{7u^\frac{15}{7}}{15}[/tex] correct?

Hopefully.

Yup, correct, except that you're missing the "Constant of Integration" + C.

But the problem does not ask you to integrate ∫(1 - u)u1/7du. The original problem is:

[tex]\int x \left( \frac{1 - x}{3} \right) ^ {\frac{1}{7}} dx[/tex]

So, what you have to do next is to change u back to x, add the "Constant of Integration", and also, don't forget a constant that I took out from the beginning so that the integral looks easier.

So literally right now we have [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[7]{3}}(\frac{7(1-x)^\frac{8}{7}}{8} - \frac{7(1-x)^\frac{15}{7}}{15}) +C[/tex]?

mg0stisha said:
So literally right now we have [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[7]{3}}(\frac{7(1-x)^\frac{8}{7}}{8} - \frac{7(1-x)^\frac{15}{7}}{15}) +C[/tex]?

Congratulations, now that you've finally solved it. :)

Oh, and btw, you can make your answer looks a little bit nicer by pulling the 7 out. Like this:

[tex]{\color{red}-} \frac{7}{\sqrt[7]{3}}\left( \frac{(1-x)^\frac{8}{7}}{8} - \frac{(1-x)^\frac{15}{7}}{15} \right) +C[/tex]

----------------

EDIT: Wait, you are forgetting a minus sign, when finding du = -dx.

Last edited:
Nothing further!? thank god :) Thanks a ton guys (Cyosis, VietDao29, Euclidus). I might have been in a little over my head with this one, but thanks for not giving up on me!

P.S. I bought an algebra refresher book. Much needed. Thanks for being honest Cyosis :)

EDIT: thanks, i remember the negative sign being there now!

Last edited:
You are very welcome.

--Elucidus

mg0stisha said:
Nothing further!? thank god :) Thanks a ton guys (Cyosis, VietDao29, Euclidus). I might have been in a little over my head with this one, but thanks for not giving up on me!

P.S. I bought an algebra refresher book. Much needed. Thanks for being honest Cyosis :)

One minor mistake left is that you have forgotten a minus sign, when finding du = -dx. There should be a minus sign also. I'm sorry for not spotting this out earlier. =.="

Just take a break now. When you fell like it, try to do this problem again. You've already had the result. Just try to see if you can solve it from scratch. :)