Integration of a func raised to a fraction

In summary, the conversation is about solving a difficult integral by using substitution and integration by parts techniques. The problem involves a fractional power and requires a clever substitution to make it easier to integrate. One person suggests using u-substitution and another person suggests using integration by parts, but both methods require careful manipulation of the integral and its differential. The conversation ends with the participants still unsure of how to proceed.
mojomike

Homework Statement

I need to solve the following integral:

{ x * ((1-x)/3)^(1/7) dx

where { represents the integral symbol b/c I don't know how to type that.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried integration by parts and don't get anywhere. None of the integration techiques I know seem to work and nothing I've found online says what to do when you have this kind of a situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm lost. Thanks everyone!

,Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of a substitution that would make the (1/7) power part easy to integrate?

I don't think he's coming back (as that was his only post), but I'm relatively new to calc and would like help solving this. Anyone willing to help?

Thanks for the response,

Well, I tried to substitute that inside the parenthesis, but there's that blasted extra x outside of it to deal with. In integrating by parts, I made x the integration term(v) and the other part the differential term, but the result is just another integral only more complicated.

mojomike said:

Homework Statement

I need to solve the following integral:

{ x * ((1-x)/3)^(1/7) dx

where { represents the integral symbol b/c I don't know how to type that.

I've tried integration by parts and don't get anywhere. None of the integration techiques I know seem to work and nothing I've found online says what to do when you have this kind of a situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm lost. Thanks everyone!

,Mike

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

No, you don't use Integration by Parts in this problem.

To type maths beautifully, one should learn how to https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997". And you can begin to dig in the awesome world of LaTeX today.

So, your integral is:

[tex]\int x \left( \frac{1 - x}{3} \right) ^ {\frac{1}{7}} dx[/tex], right?

The first step is to take all constants out of it:

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[7]{3}} \int x \left( 1 - x \right) ^ {\frac{1}{7}} dx[/tex]

The product of (1 - x)1 / 7 and x is a little bit complicated to integrate, right? Because you just cannot expand the part (1 - x)1 / 7.

If the problem was: [tex]\int x \left( 1 - x \right) ^ {2} dx[/tex], then it would be much easier, because we can expand (1 - x)2 = 1 - 2x + x2. And the whole integral would become: [tex]\int (x ^ 3 - 2 x ^ 2 + x) dx[/tex], which should be like, a piece of cake.

So, back to the problem, we then think about a simple u-substitution, which eliminates the needs to expand (1 - x)1 / 7. Let's see if you can figure out what u should be. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it be u=1/7?

mg0stisha said:
Would it be u=1/7?

Letting u equal a constant implies du = 0 and the integral is trivial. The difficulty with the integrand was the (1 - x) being raised to a fractional power. If the base were simpler...

--Elucidus

So right now we have [tex]
\frac{1}{\sqrt[7]{3}} \int x \left( 1 - x \right) ^ {\frac{1}{7}} dx
[/tex] correct?
i guess we could distribute the x in front of the parentheses so we'll have[tex]
\frac{1}{\sqrt[7]{3}} \int \left( x - x^2 \right) ^ {\frac{1}{7}} dx
[/tex]? then simplify that and pull the negative sign out front? but then there's no substitution...

the only other idea would be to make a substitution so that u=(1-x)?

Bring all constants outside then integrate. Use integration by parts. u=x, du=dx,
dv=(1-x)^1/7 dx, v=-7/8(1-x)^8/7. Any corrections if I integrated it wrong.

mg0stisha said:
So right now we have [tex]
\frac{1}{\sqrt[7]{3}} \int x \left( 1 - x \right) ^ {\frac{1}{7}} dx
[/tex] correct?
i guess we could distribute the x in front of the parentheses so we'll have[tex]
\frac{1}{\sqrt[7]{3}} \int \left( x - x^2 \right) ^ {\frac{1}{7}} dx
[/tex]? then simplify that and pull the negative sign out front? but then there's no substitution...

This is not correct, you cannot distribute unequal powers. Note that [itex]x=(x^7)^{\frac{1}{7}}[/itex]. Now that they are equal powers you can distribute, which would yield [itex]x(1-x)^{\frac{1}{7}}=(x^7-x^8)^{\frac{1}{7}}[/itex]. This doesn't make things any easier.
As hinted before use [itex]u=1-x[/itex].

darkmagic said:
Bring all constants outside then integrate. Use integration by parts. u=x, du=dx,
dv=(1-x)^1/7 dx, v=-7/8(1-x)^8/7. Any corrections if I integrated it wrong.

To go from [itex]dv=(1-x)^{1/7}dx \text{ to }v=-\frac{7}{8}(1-x)^{8/7}[/itex] requires integration by substitution (in fact, using the same substitution that would solve it directly). The integral can be done more simply than by integration by parts - although "by parts" is valid.

--Elucidus

I just can't figure it out. I've never formally taken a calculus class, just taught myself out of a cheap self teach book from barnes and noble. I substituted so that u = (1-x) and now have [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[7]{3}} \int x \left( u\right) ^ {\frac{1}{7}} dx[/tex]. And, once again I'm stuck.

If u= 1- x, then what is 'x'? You need to make the substitution everywhere there is an 'x'. This means you must also integrate du instead of dx.

As pointed out you need to express every x in terms of u, including the differential. If you substitute u=f(x), then du=f'(x)dx. In your case f(x)=1-x. Can you continue from here?

u= 1-x
du= -1
correct?

No, if f(x)=1-x and du=f'(x)dx, then f'(x)=? and du=?

The derivative of 1-x isn't -1?

Yes that part is correct, however incomplete. You want to express the differential, du in terms of the differential dx.

du/dx = -1? i have no clue why I'm so lost right now.

If you substitute u=f(x), then du=f'(x)dx

It's not much more than plug and play. Two differentials are related as [itex]du=\frac{du}{dx}dx[/itex]. This is the exact same as the one in my qu0te, just with a different notation. Use these properties to find du in terms of x.

I'm having huge problems, I'm going to just work it out visually.
So if du=f'(x)dx and [itex]du=\frac{du}{dx}dx[/itex], then f'(x)=du/dx, correct?

EDIT: That post was completely pointless. Let me work on this. Sorry.

du = -1dx

Yep that's correct. Your previous post although pointless perhaps was correct as well. So now that you have found the new differential du in terms of dx can you write down the the new, u dependent, integral?

I'll do my best. This piece of crap work computer won't let me copy the LaTeX code, so i'll try my best to re-write that on my own.

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[7]{3}} \int x(u)^\frac{1}{7}du[/tex]

where u=1-x and du=-1dx

No that's not right. You want to replace all old x variables with u variables. You now have a mix of u and x variables which is impossible to integrate.

The orginal integral:
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[7]{3}} \int x \left( 1 - x \right) ^ {\frac{1}{7}} dx
[/tex]

You want to write all these x-variables in terms of u.
If u=1-x then x=?
If du=-dx then dx=?

Oh, okay. So then x=1-u and dx=-du.

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[7]{3}} \int 1-u(1-u)^\frac{1}{7}(-du)[/tex]

That doesn't look right..

How did you get the [itex](1-u)^{\frac{1}{7}}[/itex] term?

btw, if you click on the LaTeX code reference, that is what i want the integral to be, why does it show up different on the actual image?

Yes that was wrong as well. it should be (1-(1-u))^1/7 shouldn't it?

Looking at the LaTeX code the actual image is correct.

Are you just guessing now?

You have
u=1-x
x=1-u
dx=-du.

Put these values into the original integral.

No, I wasn't guessing. The original integral is [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[7]{3}} \int x \left( 1 - x \right) ^ {\frac{1}{7}} dx[/tex]. So plugging in x=1-u and dx=-du, I see [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[7]{3}} \int 1-u \left( 1 - (1-u) \right) ^ {\frac{1}{7}} -du[/tex]

You're getting very close now, although you're taking a detour. You need some more brackets though, especially the first term seems awkward.

Would you plug -x=-1+u into the parentheses so that everything cancels to simply u?

And I feel like I'm wasting, if this isn't the case that's awesome, i'll work with this as long as you want to. If so, feel free to tell me at anytime and i'll stop/seek help from someone else. Thanks!

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[7]{3}} \int (1-u) \left( 1 -1+u) \right) ^ {\frac{1}{7}} -du = \frac{1}{\sqrt[7]{3}} \int (1-u) \left(u) \right) ^ {\frac{1}{7}} -du[/tex]

We're not going to stop.

Lets do it in steps.
We started out with the substitution u=1-x, using this substitution the integral becomes (ignoring the constant in front of it):

[tex] \int x \left( 1 - x \right) ^ {\frac{1}{7}} dx=\int x u^\frac{1}{7}dx[/tex]

But we need all x-variables in terms of u-variables. We also know that dx=-du so let's put that into the integral as well. The integral now becomes:

[tex]\int x u^\frac{1}{7}(-du)=-\int x u^\frac{1}{7}du[/tex]

Now we only have one x left and we know that x=1-u. Can you do the final step now by getting rid of the last x?