How do I integrate inverse root functions in calc 2?

In summary, the square root of 1/x is the square root of 1 divided by the square root of x, which is equal to 1 over the square root of x, and x divided by the square root of x is the square root of x.
silverdiesel
I am taking calc 2 and I think we just finished up all the different ways of integrating, yet I can't figure this seemingly very simple one out. :grumpy: Any help is greatly appriciated.o:)

[tex]\int\sqrt\frac{1}{x}dx[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: You know this
[tex]\int x ^ {\alpha} dx = \frac{x ^ {\alpha + 1}}{\alpha + 1} + C, \quad \alpha \neq -1[/tex], right?
[tex]\int \sqrt{\frac{1}{x}} dx = \int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{x}} = \int x ^ {-\frac{1}{2}} dx = ?[/tex]
Can you go from here? :)

sure, but when I try that, the answer does not work. That yeilds:
[tex]2\sqrt{x}[/tex]

I know the area under the curve already, and when I use [tex]2\sqrt{x}[/tex] in the definate integral, it does not give the correct area.

I think the answer should be:
[tex]2x\sqrt{1/x}[/tex]
but I am not sure how to get there.

silverdiesel said:
I think the answer should be:
[tex]2x\sqrt{1/x}[/tex]
but I am not sure how to get there.

Ummm... but that is equivalent to [tex]2\sqrt{x}[/tex]

silverdiesel said:
sure, but when I try that, the answer does not work. That yeilds:
[tex]2\sqrt{x}[/tex]

I know the area under the curve already, and when I use [tex]2\sqrt{x}[/tex] in the definate integral, it does not give the correct area.
May you tell me the whole problem? To me, that's correct.
Just a small error there: You forgot to add the constant of integration (i.e, + C) into your result...

although it is really quite confusing becuase when I use my calculator to integrate [tex]\int\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex], it gives the [tex]2x\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]. Yet, when I use the calculator to differentiate [tex]2x\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex], it does not give me [tex]\int\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]. Unless, it gives it in a more complicated form that I have yet to work back to the original.

d_leet said:
Ummm... but that is equivalent to [tex]2\sqrt{x}[/tex]

can you explain? Could be that my algebra is lacking.

silverdiesel said:
although it is really quite confusing becuase when I use my calculator to integrate [tex]\int\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex], it gives the [tex]2x\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]. Yet, when I use the calculator to differentiate [tex]2x\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex], it does not give me [tex]\int\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]. Unless, it gives it in a more complicated form that I have yet to work back to the original.

What are you talking about? Could you restate this a bit more clearly.

silverdiesel said:

the square root of 1/x is the square root of 1 divided by the square root of x, which is equal to 1 over the square root of x, and x divided by the square root of x is the square root of x, multiply that times 2 and you get 2 times the square root of x.

silverdiesel said:
Okay, one suggestion, though. Please don't rely heavily on calculators, and you can try do it by pen and paper, right?
[tex]2x \sqrt{\frac{1}{x}} = 2(\sqrt{x}) ^ 2 \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} = 2 \sqrt{x}[/tex]. Assuming that x >= 0. Can you get this? :)

okay, nevermind,

[tex]2\sqrt{x}[/tex]

does work in the definate integral... and so it is the correct solution. Maybe it is time for me to go to bed.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

bit drunk

bit drunk but
[tex]\int\sqrt\frac{1}{x}dx[/tex]
equals
[tex] 2 \sqrt{\frac{1}{x}}x [/tex]

by the way, what's the proof for this inverse root? I swear I knew it at one time.

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{(x^2 + a^2)^{3/2}}=\frac{x}{a^2 \sqrt{x^2 + a^2}}[/tex]

I can't believe this thread went on for as long as it did without the OP realizing that the integrand could be greatly simplified.
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}}~=~\frac{\sqrt{1}}{\sqrt{x}}~=~\frac{1}{x^{1/2}}~=~x^{-1/2}[/tex]

So the antiderivative requires nothing more than an application of the power rule.

wow.

3 years later, and yes, I think I've finally figured it out.

So, I am sitting at my desk trying to wrap my mind around the Kroneker Delta and the Levi-Civita Symbol. I do a google search for info, and a thread on my old friend, the Physics Forums pops up. I click the link, read it, (it did not help), I move on. Now, a few hours later I get an email about a response to a thread I posted three years ago.

I am guessing PF recognized me and made my account active again.

Anyhow... yeah, I got that one figured out. Funny how it seems so simple once you "speak" math. But when your just learning, the leap from x/root(x) to root(x) can be evasive.

1. What is the formula for integration of inverse root?

The formula for integration of inverse root is ∫(1/√x)dx = 2√x + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. Can the integration of inverse root be solved using substitution?

Yes, the integration of inverse root can be solved using substitution. The most common substitution used is u = √x, which transforms the integral into ∫(1/u)du = ln(u) + C = ln(√x) + C = 1/2 ln(x) + C.

3. Is the integration of inverse root considered a difficult integral to solve?

It depends on the complexity of the function inside the root. If the function is simple, the integration can be easily solved using basic integration techniques. However, if the function is more complex, it may require more advanced techniques such as integration by parts or trigonometric substitutions.

4. Can the integration of inverse root be solved using partial fractions?

Yes, the integration of inverse root can be solved using partial fractions. The integral can be decomposed into simpler fractions with the use of partial fraction decomposition, making it easier to integrate.

5. Are there any real-life applications of integration of inverse root?

Yes, the integration of inverse root is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving the motion of objects under the influence of gravity. It is also used in calculating the electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism.