How can I integrate t^2 * ln(t) using the integration by parts method?

• Thread starter Bikkehaug
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving integration and differentiation, specifically the integral of t^2 * ln(t). The individual has attempted to use integration by parts but is unsure of how to continue. They are reminded that they can simplify expressions before integrating and that the integral of x^n is a special case that should be memorized. The conversation concludes with confirmation that the question was posted in the correct forum section.
Bikkehaug

Homework Statement

I'm not sure if this is pre calculus or calculus and beyond. If I've posted in the wrong section, please feel free to move this topic.

∫t2 * lnt dt

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the integration by parts:

∫uv' dt = uv - ∫u'v dt

u = lnt u' = 1/t

v = t3 / 3 v' = t2

I then get the following:

lnt * t3 / 3 - ∫1/t * t3 / 3

I'm not sure where to continue from this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bikkehaug said:

Homework Statement

I'm not sure if this is pre calculus or calculus and beyond. If I've posted in the wrong section, please feel free to move this topic.

∫t2 * lnt dt

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the integration by parts:

∫uv' dt = uv - ∫u'v dt

u = lnt u' = 1/t

v = t3 / 3 v' = t2

What is preventing you from integrating ##(1/t)(t^3/3) = t^2 /3##?

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
What is preventing you from integrating ##(1/t)(t^3/3) = t^2 /3##?

I thought I needed to do partial integration again for that one, since it's another set of products?

Bikkehaug said:

You've done the hard bit!

Bikkehaug said:
I thought I needed to do partial integration again for that one, since it's another set of products?

The integral

[tex]\int x^n dx [/tex]

is a special case and you should have it memorized.

Bikkehaug said:

You are allowed to simplify things before integrating them.

Bikkehaug said:
I'm not sure if this is pre calculus or calculus and beyond.
Problems involving integration or differentiation definitely should be posted in Calculus & Beyond, so this is the right forum section.

1. What is product integration?

Product integration is the process of combining different products or components into a single system or platform. This allows for better functionality and efficiency, as well as a seamless user experience.

2. Why is product integration important?

Product integration is important because it allows for different systems or components to work together, resulting in a more holistic and efficient solution. It also minimizes the need for multiple products, reducing costs and simplifying processes for both businesses and consumers.

3. What are the benefits of product integration?

The benefits of product integration include improved efficiency, simplified processes, reduced costs, and a better user experience. It also allows for better data sharing and analysis, as well as increased compatibility and flexibility.

4. How can product integration be achieved?

Product integration can be achieved through various methods such as through APIs (Application Programming Interfaces), middleware, or custom coding. It requires a thorough understanding of the different products and systems involved, as well as careful planning and testing.

5. What are the challenges of product integration?

Some challenges of product integration include compatibility issues, technical complexities, and potential conflicts between different products or systems. It also requires a significant amount of time, resources, and expertise to successfully integrate products.