Integration problem am I correct?

• Thread starter badgermanb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the integral of 2x*e^(x^2) is e^(x^2) + C, and this is different from the integral of e^(-x^2) which is a more complicated function involving square roots and the error function. The confusion may have arisen from finding a definite integral instead of an indefinite one, and also the fact that there is no 'standard' function that when differentiated gives e^x^2.
badgermanb

Homework Statement

Integrate: [tex]\int[/tex]2x*ex2dx

Homework Equations

[tex]\int[/tex]eudu = eu

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried integration by substitution:
Let u=x2
Then du=2x*dx

So then it is:
[tex]\int[/tex]eu*du

Which would give me:
eu+c

So subbing x2 back in for u:
ex2+c

I looked this type of function up online and got a lot of complicated results involving square root of pi or a log function and things referring to an error formula integral or something? :confused: ... so I was just double checking to see if this seemingly simple solution works. And maybe someone could explain what I was seeing online? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well first you forgot the dx in the original expression.

Your work and answer looks right to me. I wouldn't look online for ways to do things or answers because you usually will either find incorrect things or stuff that isn't at your level yet.

And, badgermanb, remember you can always differentiate your answer to check it is a correct anti-derivative.

Thanks, yeah I remember that now. Worked it out back and forth now. Thanks for the help! It's been a while since I did calc out like this so I keep forgetting my little tips and tricks.

Also, badgerman, what you solved (the integral of 2x*e^(x^2)) and what you looked up online (the integral of e^(-x^2)) are different functions and that's why what you looked up was strange. I'm guessing it was something like this?

[tex]\integral e^{-x^2} dx = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} erf(x) + C[/tex]

That's the integral of a different, albeit similar function. Just to clear up what you DID see.

Yeah I noticed the negative sign when I was googling it. Amazing how a single negative can change it so much. I think also a lot of the confusion arose from finding a definite as opposed to indefinite integral, in terms of an exact numerical solution. Either way, it's all coming back to me now... once again, thanks for the help :)

No it is not the negative sign that makes the difference, but the x in front of e^x^2. As you can see by differentiation e^x^2 we obtain 2xe^x^2. There is however no 'standard' function that when differentiated gives e^x^2.

That makes sense. A lot, actually. lol

Related to Integration problem am I correct?

1. What is an integration problem?

An integration problem involves finding the area under a curve, or the accumulation of a quantity, by using a mathematical process called integration.

2. How do I know if I am correct in solving an integration problem?

You can check your answer by taking the derivative of the integrated function. If the derivative matches the original function, then your integration is correct.

3. What are some common strategies for solving integration problems?

Some common strategies for solving integration problems include substitution, integration by parts, and using trigonometric identities. It is also important to understand the properties of integrals, such as linearity and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

4. Can integration problems be solved without using calculus?

Yes, there are some integration problems that can be solved without using calculus, such as using geometric formulas to find the area under a curve or using numerical methods like the trapezoidal rule.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving integration problems?

Practice and familiarizing yourself with different integration techniques is key to improving your skills. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to work on integration problems together.