Integrating 1/(x^2+1): Attempting to Solve an Integration Problem

• Thread starter thereddevils
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in evaluating the integral of 1/(x^2 + 1) and suggests using a derivative formula or a trig substitution to solve it.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

evaluate [tex]\int \frac{1}{x^2+1} dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This can't be [tex]\frac{\ln x^2+1}{2x}[/tex] , my first thought on this .

Then , i tried partial fraction , it didn't work either .

Physics news on Phys.org

thereddevils said:

Homework Statement

evaluate [tex]\int \frac{1}{x^2+1} dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This can't be [tex]\frac{\ln x^2+1}{2x}[/tex] , my first thought on this .

Then , i tried partial fraction , it didn't work either .
Your first thought led you to try an ordinary substitution, u = x^2 + 1. This won't work, though, because du = 2xdx, so there's no way to change the given integrand to du/u.

If you know a derivative formula for which d/dx(something) = 1/(x^2 + 1) then that will be helpful in this problem. If you don't know or don't remember such a formula, a trig substitution will be the way to go, with tan u = x/1.

FAQ: Integrating 1/(x^2+1): Attempting to Solve an Integration Problem

1. How do you integrate 1/(x^2+1)?

The integral of 1/(x^2+1) can be solved by using the substitution method. Let u = x^2+1, then du = 2x dx. The integral becomes ∫ 1/u * (1/2) du which is equal to (1/2) * ln|u| + C. Substituting back x^2+1 for u, the final answer is (1/2) * ln|x^2+1| + C.

2. What is the domain of the function 1/(x^2+1)?

The domain of 1/(x^2+1) includes all real numbers except for x = ±i, where i is the imaginary unit. This is because when x = ±i, the denominator becomes 0, which is undefined.

3. Can you use the power rule to integrate 1/(x^2+1)?

No, the power rule can only be used for functions in the form of x^n, where n is a real number. 1/(x^2+1) cannot be written in this form, so the power rule cannot be used to solve its integral.

4. Is there a shortcut or trick to solve the integral of 1/(x^2+1)?

No, there is no shortcut or trick to solve the integral of 1/(x^2+1). The most efficient way to solve it is by using the substitution method as described in the first question.

5. What are some practical applications of integrating 1/(x^2+1)?

The integral of 1/(x^2+1) can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the area under a curve in statistics and to find the center of mass in physics. In economics, it can be used to calculate the utility function of a consumer.