Integration substiuition of new variable

In summary, the conversation discusses a mistake made in solving a problem involving integration and substitution. The mistake concerns a factor of two that is incorrect in the first step of the solution. The conversation includes attempts to find the mistake and clarification on the correct steps to take.
delsoo

Homework Statement

for this question, my ans is pi/2 not pi/4 . can anybody please check where's the mistake?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• DSC_0148~3[2].jpg
    DSC_0148~3[2].jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 401
  • DSC_0147[1].jpg
    DSC_0147[1].jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't transform the integration limits, for one thing. I didn't look beyond that to see if you made other mistakes.

you also didn't solve properly for dx.
##x = \frac{1}{2y} ∴ \frac{dx}{dy} = ? ##
just take the derivative of both sides with respect to y, and you'll end up with something like:
##dx = f(y)dy##

D H said:
You didn't transform the integration limits, for one thing. I didn't look beyond that to see if you made other mistakes.

it doesn't matter actually... eventually i change the x to y and then to tetha, lastly i change my limit for my tetha, what's wrong with my working . i ended up getting pi/2

can anybody help please?

Your factor of two error arises on the very first line, where you went from ##\int \frac{dx}{x\sqrt{x^2-1}}## to ##-2\int\frac{dy}{\sqrt{1/4-y^2}}## under the substitution ##x=\frac 1 {2y}##. That factor of two is incorrect. You should have obtained ##\int\frac{-dy}{\sqrt{1/4-y^2}}## for that first step.

i cheked thru my working again and again but stilll can't find my mistake... can you be more specific?

Show how you derived that very first step. That very first step is the source of your error.

since x=(1/2y) , then i get 2xy =1 ... anything wrong?

Yes. Your first step is wrong. Show exactly how you went from ##\int \frac{dx}{x\sqrt{x^2-1}}## to ##\int\frac{-2 \,dy}{\sqrt{1/4-y^2}}## with that substitution.

i still can't understand how can it be wrong?

how can 2yx not equal to 1?

Somewhere along the way you did something wrong, but since you didn't show your intermediate steps, there's no knowing where you went wrong. That factor of two in your very first step is incorrect. You should have found that ##\int \frac{dx}{x\sqrt{x^2-1}}## with the substitution ##2xy=1## results in ##\int\frac{-dy}{\sqrt{1/4-y^2}}## rather than ##\int\frac{-2\,dy}{\sqrt{1/4-y^2}}##.

What is integration by substitution of new variable?

Integration by substitution of new variable is a method of solving integrals by replacing the original variable with a new one. This allows for the integral to be simplified and solved more easily.

When should I use integration by substitution of new variable?

Integration by substitution of new variable is typically used when the integrand (the expression being integrated) contains a complicated function or a combination of functions that can be simplified by substitution.

How do I perform integration by substitution of new variable?

To perform integration by substitution of new variable, follow these steps:

1. Identify a suitable substitution for the original variable.
  2. Calculate the derivative of the substitution variable.
  3. Substitute the substitution variable and its derivative into the integral expression.
  4. Simplify the integral using the substitution.
  5. Integrate the simplified expression with respect to the substitution variable.
  6. Substitute back in the original variable to get the final solution.

What are the benefits of using integration by substitution of new variable?

Integration by substitution of new variable can simplify and solve complicated integrals that would be difficult or impossible to solve using other methods. It also allows for a more efficient and organized approach to solving integrals.

Are there any limitations to using integration by substitution of new variable?

While integration by substitution of new variable can solve many integrals, it is not a foolproof method and may not work for all integrals. Additionally, it requires a good understanding of derivative rules and substitution techniques in order to be applied effectively.