Intensity of Interference Pattern

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question about a diffraction pattern changing when the slit width is reduced to half. The question seems incomplete and the person is having trouble understanding what the question is trying to demonstrate. They mention that the intensity at the central maximum is not constant and provide a formula for it. The conversation then goes on to provide hints for solving the problem, including taking into account the reduction of the slit width to half and the proportional decrease in the intensity.
Wombats
chegg question.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution I keep coming up with is (G) , but the solution sheet says it is (C). I assumed it was (G) because since the slit width is halved the central maximum is bigger so I assumed that X would now be part of the central maximum. Therefore the intensity would be I_0.

Attachments

• chegg question.png
    chegg question.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 723
Physics news on Phys.org
I am having trouble following this question. Where in the problem does it say anything about the slit width being reduced to one half? The question seems very incomplete in their explanation for what they mean by the diffraction pattern changing. If you block or cover the slit, you get zero. I don't understand what they are trying to demonstrate. ## \\ ## Meanwhile though, the intensity os not constant across the central maximum. The intensity for slit width ## b ## at angle ## \theta ## is ## I(\theta)=I_o \frac{\sin^2(\pi b \sin(\theta)/\lambda)}{(\pi b \sin(\theta)/\lambda)^2} ##.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
I am having trouble following this question. Where in the problem does it say anything about the slit width being reduced to one half? The question seems very incomplete in their explanation for what they mean by the diffraction pattern changing. If you block or cover the slit, you get zero. I don't understand what they are trying to demonstrate.

Oops I guess I cropped it out of the image. Yeah it just tells you that the right half of the slit is covered. There were no numbers given so I just don't understand how to go about figuring it out. I think they are trying to demonstrate what changes in the pattern when you decrease the slit width such as the central maximum would increase, but I am not sure how to solve the problem concerning the coefficient of I_0 after the change.

See the addition to my post. ## I_o ## will be proportional the second power of the slit width, so you need to take that into account in your calculations as well: i.e. the ## I_o ## for the half-slit case will be reduced by a factor of 4.

And yes, I get the right answer. I can give you a couple hints: If you look at the formula I gave you, what is ## \frac{b \sin(\theta)}{\lambda} ## when you are at the first zero of intensity, i.e. when ## m=1 ## in the formula ## m \lambda=b \sin(\theta) ## ? ## \\ ## If you let the slit width be ## b'=\frac{b}{2} ##, what is the value of ## \frac{b' \sin(\theta)}{\lambda} ##, knowing what ## \frac{b \sin(\theta)}{\lambda} ## was at that same location? ## \\ ## To get the complete intensity, you also need to know that the new ## I_o ## that you write for the halved slit, call it ## I_o', ## will have ## I_o'=\frac{1}{4} I_o ##. The reason for that is you have 1/2 as many Huygens sources all constructively interfering to produce the center of the central maximum. This will mean the ## E ## that you compute, (a very simple completely qualitative computation), at the center of the pattern is 1/2 of the ## E ## with the full slit, so the ## I_o ## which is proportional to ## E^2 ## will be 1/4 of the ## I_o ## of the full slit. ## \\ ## Also note, at the center of the pattern, the denominator of the intensity formula is zero, but for that case you simply take the limit as ## \theta \rightarrow 0 ##, and the result is ## I_o ##.

Last edited:
Likes Wombats and gneill
Charles Link said:
And yes, I get the right answer. I can give you a couple hints: If you look at the formula I gave you, what is ## \frac{b \sin(\theta)}{\lambda} ## when you are at the first zero of intensity, i.e. when ## m=1 ## in the formula ## m \lambda=b \sin(\theta) ## ? ## \\ ## If you let the slit width be ## b'=\frac{b}{2} ##, what is the value of ## \frac{b' \sin(\theta)}{\lambda} ##, knowing what ## \frac{b \sin(\theta)}{\lambda} ## was at that same location? ## \\ ## To get the complete intensity, you also need to know that the new ## I_o ## that you write for the halved slit, call it ## I_o', ## will have ## I_o'=\frac{1}{4} I_o ##. The reason for that is you have 1/2 as many Huygens sources all constructively interfering to produce the center of the central maximum. This will mean the ## E ## that you compute, (a very simple completely qualitative computation), at the center of the pattern is 1/2 of the ## E ## with the full slit, so the ## I_o ## which is proportional to ## E^2 ## will be 1/4 of the ## I_o ## of the full slit. ## \\ ## Also note, at the center of the pattern, the denominator of the intensity formula is zero, but for that case you simply take the limit as ## \theta \rightarrow 0 ##, and the result is ## I_o ##.

Thank you that makes sense now.

Likes Charles Link
Wombats said:
Thank you that makes sense now.
So what did your ## I(\theta) ## look like at point ## X ## for the halved-slit? As a homework helper, I'm not supposed to give the answer, but for the sake of completeness, please show the result of ## I(\theta)=I_o' \,\frac{\sin^2( \pi b' \sin(\theta)/\lambda)}{(\pi b' \sin(\theta)/\lambda)^2} ## for the halved-slit at point ## X ##. The result is quite simple, but please show us the result you got.

Charles Link said:
So what did your ## I(\theta) ## look like at point ## X ## for the halved-slit? As a homework helper, I'm not supposed to give the answer, but for the sake of completeness, please show the result of ## I(\theta)=I_o' \,\frac{\sin^2( \pi b' \sin(\theta)/\lambda)}{(\pi b' \sin(\theta)/\lambda)^2} ## for the halved-slit at point ## X ##. The result is quite simple, but please show us the result you got.

The result I got for the coefficient was ## \frac{\sin^2(\frac{ \pi}{2})}{(\pi^2)} ## which is equal to 0.1013 which was the correct answer on the solution sheet.

Likes Charles Link

What is the intensity of interference pattern?

The intensity of interference pattern refers to the brightness or darkness of the fringes that are produced when two or more waves interfere with each other in a specific pattern. It is a measure of the energy or power of the combined waves at a particular point in space.

How is the intensity of interference pattern calculated?

The intensity of interference pattern is calculated using the formula: I = I0cos2(θ), where I is the final intensity, I0 is the initial intensity, and θ is the angle between the two interfering waves. This formula is known as the Malus' Law.

What factors affect the intensity of interference pattern?

The intensity of interference pattern can be affected by various factors such as the amplitude and wavelength of the waves, the angle between the waves, and the medium through which the waves are traveling. Any change in these factors can result in a change in the intensity of the interference pattern.

Why does the intensity of interference pattern vary at different points?

The intensity of interference pattern varies at different points due to the principle of superposition. When two waves interfere, their amplitudes can either add up constructively or cancel out destructively, resulting in points of high and low intensity, respectively. This creates the distinct pattern of bright and dark fringes.

What is the significance of the intensity of interference pattern in science?

The intensity of interference pattern is significant in science as it helps us understand the wave nature of light and other types of waves. It also plays a crucial role in various applications such as interferometry, diffraction, and holography. Additionally, the intensity of interference pattern is used to study the properties of different materials and can provide information about their thickness and refractive index.