1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intensity of the light in the light bulb what physicist described it?

1. Aug 13, 2013 #1
    We know that the intensity of the light in the light bulb depends on the electric current.
    And I want to know who was the first physicist who proved this.
    And if there is a possibility could you also tell me how, why, when, where he did this experiment or give me an website, but the name of the physicist is also enough.

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The wikipedia entry has a history of the incandescent light bulb:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_light_bulb

:smile:

4. Aug 13, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean simply "generally the intensity of light is greater if there is more current passing through the bulb", the first people to make light bulbs, Edison among others, knew that! After all, it follow from "conservation of energy" which long predates the light bulb. If you mean "the intensity of the light is proportional to the current", that's simply not true.

5. Aug 13, 2013 #4
    so it has always been a common sense that "generally the intensity of light is greater if there is more current passing through the bulb"

6. Aug 13, 2013 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Yep.

7. Aug 13, 2013 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Are these schoolwork questions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted