Integrating sqrt(x2+9) - Help Appreciated

In summary, the person is asking for help with integrating sqrt(x^2+9) and has already looked at a table of integrals. They are unsure of how to use integration by parts or substitutions, and someone suggests using x=3sinh u or x=3tan(theta) as alternative methods.
geffman1

Homework Statement

hey guys i was wondering if anyone could show my how to intergrate sqrt(x2+9). any help would be greatfully appreciated. the sqaure root is over everything:rolleyes:

P.s i have looked at table of intergral but can't see one that looks similar.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Use integration by parts with [itex]u=\sqrt{x^2+9}[/itex] and [itex]dv=dx[/itex]...

thanks but i have never used any of those methods before?

You haven't been taught integration by parts yet? Do you know substitutions, if so try [itex]x=3 \sinh u[/itex]. If both these methods are alien to you they probably expect you to compare it to a standard integral somewhere listed in the back or front of your calculus book.

Yet another way is to let [itex]x= 3tan(\theta)[/itex]. Then [itex]dx= 3sec^2(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ 9}= \sqrt{9tan^2(\theta)+ 9}= 3\sqrt{tan^2(\theta)+ 1}= 3sec(\theta)[/itex].

What is the function sqrt(x2+9)?

The function sqrt(x2+9) is a mathematical expression that represents the square root of the sum of the square of a variable x and the number 9.

What does it mean to integrate sqrt(x2+9)?

Integrating sqrt(x2+9) refers to finding the antiderivative of the function, which allows us to calculate the area under the curve of the function.

Why is integrating sqrt(x2+9) important?

Integrating sqrt(x2+9) is important because it allows us to solve problems involving rates of change, such as calculating velocity or displacement.

How do I integrate sqrt(x2+9)?

To integrate sqrt(x2+9), you can use the power rule, which states that the integral of x^n is (x^(n+1))/(n+1) + C. In this case, the integral of sqrt(x2+9) would be (x^(3/2))/(3/2) + C, which simplifies to (2/3)x^(3/2) + C.

What are some real-life applications of integrating sqrt(x2+9)?

Integrating sqrt(x2+9) has various real-life applications, such as calculating the work done by a force, finding the volume of an irregularly shaped object, or determining the distance traveled by an object with changing velocity.