1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intergration problem

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i'm taking a defitinite integral from sqrt2 to 2 of the function 1/x^3*sqrt(x^2-1)dx.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I seperated it into 1/x^3 and 1/sqrt(x^2-1). I have the second part using trig sub. as being sec theta dtheta, before integrating it. I believe i did this part correctly.

What I can't remember is that I make 1/x^3 to x^-3 and then integrate it that way with the final being -1/2(1/x^2)??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I know the forums are slow, but you can stop posting this now. The substitution you want is u^2=x^2+1. Work it out. You can turn it into a rational function in u. Then use partial fractions.

4. Feb 8, 2009 #3
    for some reason this forum isn't working, and i didn't mean to repost several times... I hit refresh a couple times and that's what happened. I apologize!

5. Feb 8, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

S'ok. Can you remove the other ones or mark as duplicates?

6. Feb 8, 2009 #5
    Ok, was i correct in splitting it into two integrals?

I'm having alot of difficulty on this one. I got an answer, but it's really long and seems wrong.

I found I'm supposed to get but need to be able to work through this problem.

How i got mine was for the second part used x = sec y and dx= sec y tan y dy.
    after working the substitution i came up with the integral of sec y dy from sqrt(2) to 2. the integration of sec is ln abs(sec y + tan y). I then substituted the inverse sec (x/a) in for y based on my original substitution.

that is then multiplied by the integral of 1/x^3 which is -1/(2x^2). Was this the correct way in doing it?

7. Feb 8, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't 'split it into two integrals'. There's no rule that says integral(f*g)=integral(f)*integral(g). That's just plain wrong. You can probably handle it with a trig substitution as well, but I would suggest using my original suggestion of u^2=x^2+1.

8. Feb 8, 2009 #7
    ok. do you mean to say substitute u^2=x^2 -1 to get rid of the sqrt then?

i just don't understand how that helps me. I end up with variables x and u in the denominator then.

9. Feb 8, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I meant to say u^2=x^2-1. Sorry. It still works. The stray x will cancel out. x^2=u^2+1.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  10. Feb 9, 2009 #9
    what would x^3 be in terms of u? I'm gonna have to head to a tutor and have someone walk me through this one.

11. Feb 9, 2009 #10
    Here is a hint: don't express x3 in terms of u. At first, express only the square root term and dx in terms of u and du. This will give you an easier term than x^3 to express in terms of u.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook