1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internal Resistance

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    How can I go about calculating internal resistance? I have variables I, R, and V but no idea on how to find the 'internal' resistance. Is this some sort of special case?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2
    Your question needs to be a bit more specific.

Internal resistance is a concept used to account for the fact that the terminal voltage of a a real battery (as opposed to an ideal voltage source, whose voltage is constant, regardless of the current drawn from the source) drops as the current drawn from the battery increases. A simple electrical model of a battery is an ideal voltage source in series with a resistor representing the internal reistance. As current increases,, more voltage is dropped across the internal R and the battery terminal voltage decreases.
  4. Sep 17, 2008 #3
    Well, the question says "A 20 V battery delivers 107 mA of current when connected to a 74 ohm resistor. Determine the internal resistance of the battery."
  5. Sep 18, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Just draw a circuit consisting of the 74 ohm resistor, the unknown resistance r in series and the 20V batteries. Then solve for r given the info in the question.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?