1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internship = research for nuclear engineering grad school?

1. Jul 27, 2009 #1
    Hello all, How does an internship compare to research experience for grad school?

I ask this because I am trying to finalize my private loan plan. If I do an internship for next summer, I will probably end up having to figure in the summer's rent and utilities into my loan for the place I am at now, due to I wont probably be able to pay 2 rents at once. On the other hand, if I stay and work on research, I probably wont have to figure in that rent. I think it would be interesting to do an internship, however I'm not sure of what significance it plays in grad school admittance.

Also slightly related question: How much do you guys usually spend a month of food and toiletries? I am trying to get a rough estimate of how much I will need to work over the school year to support myself. It looks like the majority of my summer earnings will be going into buying furniture for the new appartment.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2009 #2
    More related to this part:
    Today I recieved a job offer for working tuesday and thursdays 12:30pm -9:00pm (8 hours in total, including the 1/2hr lunch). The only downside is on tuesdays and thursdays I am in class from 7:30am-12:18pm (with an hour brake mixed in there somewhere). This job pays very decent as well.

Even with my high estimates, the 16 hours/week would be more than enough. I am a bit concerned though because a) I have never worked that many hours during the school year and b) because I am not too sure what to think about having a 7:30am-9:00pm day.

On MWF I am out of classby 4:30 and I wouldn't be working weekends, so I *think* that should be enough study time. Perhaps having a test on Weds or Friday could get a bit sticky.

Anyone have any thoughts/concerns/advise?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook