Interrupted air flow at fan inlet, resulting in fan stall

In summary, the author is looking for an on-line paper/article/pdf about ducted fans and inlet distortion. He is doubtful that this will be as easy as the author thinks.
kach22i
I'm looking for an on-line paper/article/pdf about ducted fans; "Interrupted air flow at fan inlet (subsonic), resulting in fan stall" which I can print out and read. Centrifugal, axial and or mixed-flow fans included.

I have not had much luck doing a Google search on my own, perhaps I'm using the wrong search terms.

I'm interested in non-bell shape inlets, something "S" shaped, or with a louvered grille up ahead of the fan. I'm assuming inlet plenum volume, drag and shape also come into play.

I see inlets (on cars, airplanes, helicopters) for circulation, cooling air and auxiliary power generation which are not like those used for thrust (which are tube/foil-like). I also see on hovercraft, lift fans at right angle of flow, but thrust fans in-line with direction of motion. Is there an efficiency ratio here, what's the design threshold?

I just want to learn a little (get me to fist base so I don't sound so stupid), and maybe it will help put me to sleep at night too.:wink:

EDIT: something with pictures would be nice.
http://www.free-online-private-pilot-ground-school.com/turbine-engines.html
compressor-airflow.gif

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Inlet distortion is a very prominent field/specialization of study in aerospace and propulsion. I can't imaging a one page paper giving you everything you need to know about the topic. Do you have a specific paper in mind? We do all sorts of real world distortion testing on our fans and compressors to ensure operability and performace for various inlet configurations and inlet flow patterns. I am highly doubtful that this is going to be as easy as you think.

You might want to look at NASA's document server:
http://gltrs.grc.nasa.gov/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link.

I want to get the fundamentals right, then slowly move on to specific situations and see what makes them work or fail.

Something general at a high school level would be fine. If a professional level paper, I'll read it a few times and maybe 20% will soak in.

I took college calculus (up to 4) with engineering students 20 years ago, but being an architect I've displaced that temporary memory long ago.:wink:

1. What causes interrupted air flow at fan inlet?

Interrupted air flow at fan inlet can be caused by several factors, including obstructions in the fan's inlet duct, changes in the surrounding environment (such as wind or temperature), or improper installation of the fan.

2. How can interrupted air flow at fan inlet result in fan stall?

When the air flow at the fan inlet is disrupted, it can create turbulent air patterns that can cause the fan blades to stall. This means that the fan is no longer able to move air effectively, resulting in reduced performance or complete shutdown of the fan.

3. How can fan stall be prevented?

To prevent fan stall, it is important to ensure that the fan's inlet is free from obstructions and that the surrounding environment is stable. Proper installation and regular maintenance of the fan can also help prevent interruptions in air flow and potential fan stall.

4. What are the consequences of fan stall?

Fan stall can have various consequences depending on the specific situation. In some cases, it may result in reduced air flow and decreased performance of the fan. In more severe cases, it can lead to complete shut down of the fan, causing disruptions in air circulation and potential damage to equipment.

5. Can interrupted air flow at fan inlet be fixed?

Yes, interrupted air flow at fan inlet can often be fixed by identifying and removing any obstructions or addressing any environmental factors that may be causing the issue. It is important to address the issue promptly to prevent potential fan stall and ensure proper functioning of the fan.