Introducing Symbolic Logic: Free Books to Download

In summary, Symbolic Logic is a branch of mathematics that uses symbols to represent logical statements and their relationships. It is a useful tool for analyzing and constructing arguments in a precise and systematic manner. Many free books on this subject are available for download, making it accessible for anyone interested in learning about this complex and fascinating field. These books cover various topics such as propositional and predicate logic, set theory, and Boolean algebra. With the availability of these free resources, anyone can dive into the world of Symbolic Logic and expand their understanding of logic and reasoning.
PhilosophyofPhysics
Do you know of any good introductory books on Symbolic Logic? Any free books I can download?
I was going to take this next semester, but the time is not a good time so I wanted to learn it on my own at least for now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Irving M. Copi and Carl Cohen, Intro*duction to Logic is the best to my knowledge. If you're planning to take the class sometime in the future, figure out what text your college uses and just get that. If you're looking for something cheap and easy (you can learn basic skills very quickly), Harry Gensler, Introduction to Logic will give you enough logical skills to improve your philosophic writing. Its not rigorous though. I don't know anything about online texts.

Pardon my laziness: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=607609&postcount=14

I recommend that you browse around the websites linked to above, check out a few books (e.g. Copi & Cohen) from your library, and get a copy of https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0141003146/?tag=pfamazon01-20. You can find the first edition used until the new edition is released on December 27th. Hodges includes explanations to every single problem and is an amazing teacher, so he's ideal for self-study. Best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is symbolic logic?

Symbolic logic is a branch of mathematics and philosophy that uses symbols and formal rules to represent and manipulate logical statements. It allows for the analysis and evaluation of complex arguments and reasoning.

2. Why is symbolic logic important?

Symbolic logic is important because it provides a precise and systematic method for evaluating arguments and identifying errors in reasoning. It is also widely used in fields such as computer science, linguistics, and artificial intelligence.

3. Who can benefit from learning about symbolic logic?

Anyone who wants to improve their critical thinking and analytical skills can benefit from learning about symbolic logic. It is particularly useful for students in disciplines such as mathematics, philosophy, and computer science.

4. Are there any free resources available for learning about symbolic logic?

Yes, there are many free books and online resources available for learning about symbolic logic. These resources can be easily downloaded and accessed for self-study or as supplementary material for courses.

5. How can learning about symbolic logic benefit a scientist?

Learning about symbolic logic can benefit a scientist by improving their ability to construct and evaluate logical arguments, which is essential for conducting research and drawing conclusions based on evidence. It can also aid in understanding complex scientific concepts and theories.