Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introduction to Standard Model: presentation(s) requested

1. Jan 12, 2004 #1
    Hi all,

I have been asked to give an informal presentation on the Standard Model to some chemists (note that this is not really my field of expertise ). I was wondering if there are some good (powerpoint) presentations out there that I could use to base mine on. That would save me a lot of time... Any help will be appreciated greatly.

Sort of stuff that I want to talk about:
    - Very brief history
    - quarks & leptons: charge, mass, spin, ...
    - force carriers: charge, mass, spin, ...
    - color charge
    - Feynman diagrams
    - Higgs mechanism (celebrity at a party-model)
    - Free quarks / gluons are prohibited.
    - nice experimental verifications: (g-2)/2, linewidth of the Z0, ... (?)
    - Very brief outlook to the future (Higgs boson, supersym., 11-D and so on)

I hope that you have some suggestions of places for me to steal some nice figures from... :wink:
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We don't condone plagiarism here. If you're going to "steal" things, be intellectually honest and provide the proper credits for that material.

A good place to start would be www.particleadventure.org.

- Warren
  4. Jan 15, 2004 #3
    To me that goes without saying. Naturally I would list proper credits!

I thought that if I were to use a few figures from someone's presentation that he/she posted on his/her website and list credits accordingly in my talk that this would be ok. Would you consider this plagiarism? If so, then I will certainly make all my own graphs. However, I see many figures (also at conferences) that appear to be recycled / copied from somewhere else, sometimes with and sometimes without references. Therefore, I didn't think there was something wrong with this.

Anyway, thanks for the link! Looks like a very well set up site with lots of cool graphs and information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?