• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Introductory Calculus book/online course for self study

Main Question or Discussion Point

I would like to learn calculus from the start. I have had pre-calculus and have basic ideas about limits and derivates(though not very rigorously). Which book should I use?

I have the book "Calculus The Easy Way" by Douglas Downing.

I also have access to Calculus One by Ohio State University on Coursera.

If anyone knows a better book or course, please recommend.

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

I really Adbice You to Taka a Look at YouTube Channel Khan Academy
The best way to learn anything !!

There is also khan academy and mathispower4u websites both provide short ten minute videos

Nathanael
Homework Helper
I enjoy 'Calculus' by Gilbert Strang. I think it's a very good book. It can be downloaded for free on the MIT website, so it's at least worth a look!

I would definitely recommend it if you are self-studying. (I'm not sure how well it would work within the structure of a class.)

Gilbert Strang also has a collection of calculus videos on youtube, I believe they are called "The Big Picture of Calculus."

Good question. The reality is somewhere between all of the resonance structures. For example, benzene's C-C bond length is somewhere between the single and double bond lengths for carbon.
There is also khan academy and mathispower4u websites both provide short ten minute videos
I enjoy 'Calculus' by Gilbert Strang. I think it's a very good book. It can be downloaded for free on the MIT website, so it's at least worth a look!

I would definitely recommend it if you are self-studying. (I'm not sure how well it would work within the structure of a class.)

Gilbert Strang also has a collection of calculus videos on youtube, I believe they are called "The Big Picture of Calculus."
I have heard a lot about Spivak. Is that an introductory book?

What? I don't get it. Why did you include my post from Chemistry?

Edit: Oh, I get it; you must have put it in your multi-super-quote thing, as you were also active in the "What really are resonance structures?" thread.

What? I don't get it. Why did you include my post from Chemistry?

Edit: Oh, I get it; you must have put it in your multi-super-quote thing, as you were also active in the "What really are resonance structures?" thread.
Yeah. I added this accidentally when I clicked add all quotes. Sorry for the mistake.

Yeah. I added this accidentally when I clicked add all quotes. Sorry for the mistake.
It's okay. I was just wondering.