Introductory Calculus book/online course for self study

In summary, the best book to learn calculus from the start is "Calculus The Easy Way" by Douglas Downing. Another good book is "Calculus One" by Ohio State University on Coursera.
Yashbhatt
I would like to learn calculus from the start. I have had pre-calculus and have basic ideas about limits and derivates(though not very rigorously). Which book should I use?

I have the book "Calculus The Easy Way" by Douglas Downing.

I also have access to Calculus One by Ohio State University on Coursera.

If anyone knows a better book or course, please recommend.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I really Adbice You to Taka a Look at YouTube Channel Khan Academy
The best way to learn anything !

There is also khan academy and mathispower4u websites both provide short ten minute videos

I enjoy 'Calculus' by Gilbert Strang. I think it's a very good book. It can be downloaded for free on the MIT website, so it's at least worth a look!

I would definitely recommend it if you are self-studying. (I'm not sure how well it would work within the structure of a class.)

Gilbert Strang also has a collection of calculus videos on youtube, I believe they are called "The Big Picture of Calculus."

James Woodward said:
Good question. The reality is somewhere between all of the resonance structures. For example, benzene's C-C bond length is somewhere between the single and double bond lengths for carbon.

jedishrfu said:
There is also khan academy and mathispower4u websites both provide short ten minute videos

Nathanael said:
I enjoy 'Calculus' by Gilbert Strang. I think it's a very good book. It can be downloaded for free on the MIT website, so it's at least worth a look!

I would definitely recommend it if you are self-studying. (I'm not sure how well it would work within the structure of a class.)

Gilbert Strang also has a collection of calculus videos on youtube, I believe they are called "The Big Picture of Calculus."

I have heard a lot about Spivak. Is that an introductory book?

What? I don't get it. Why did you include my post from Chemistry?

Edit: Oh, I get it; you must have put it in your multi-super-quote thing, as you were also active in the "What really are resonance structures?" thread.

James Woodward said:
What? I don't get it. Why did you include my post from Chemistry?

Edit: Oh, I get it; you must have put it in your multi-super-quote thing, as you were also active in the "What really are resonance structures?" thread.

Yeah. I added this accidentally when I clicked add all quotes. Sorry for the mistake.

Yashbhatt said:
Yeah. I added this accidentally when I clicked add all quotes. Sorry for the mistake.

It's okay. I was just wondering.

Related to Introductory Calculus book/online course for self study

1. What topics are typically covered in an introductory calculus book/course?

Introductory calculus books/courses typically cover topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, applications of derivatives and integrals, and basic differential equations.

2. Do I need to have a strong math background to understand calculus?

While a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry is helpful, most introductory calculus books/courses assume no prior knowledge of calculus and start from the basics.

3. Is it possible to learn calculus through an online course or do I need a physical textbook?

Yes, it is possible to learn calculus through an online course. Many online courses offer interactive lessons, practice problems, and video lectures to help students understand the material.

4. Can I use an introductory calculus book/course to prepare for a college-level calculus class?

Yes, an introductory calculus book/course can be a great tool for preparing for a college-level calculus class. However, it is important to make sure that the book/course covers the same topics and follows a similar curriculum as the college class you will be taking.

5. Are there any resources or additional materials that can supplement an introductory calculus book/course?

Yes, there are many resources and materials available to supplement an introductory calculus book/course. These can include online practice problems, video tutorials, and study guides. It is also helpful to seek help from a tutor or join a study group for additional support.