Introductory physics textbook: which to choose? =)

• Thread starter si3zi
  • Start date
Hello so lovely people! I present my self: Ali, 12 years old from Niger, I decided to start learning physics on my own.

Some people first recommended me to read a book titled "Conceptual physics" to get the sense of what we are doing physics, I have read it and it is excellent!

Now I try to go a little bit further, and I found three interesting books:

1. Helliday & Resnick - Fundamentals of physics
  2. Young-Freeman - University physics
  3. Seway-Jewett - Physics for scientists and engineers

Which to choose my lovely people?

Thank you.

(psst... I already learnt calculus)

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Please you may say this is not of importance.... But no!! it is important to me!!

I have done only an introduction to physics, so I can't say much, however I have often seen books like Kleppner's Mechanics book often recommended along with an EM book by Purcell (though I have heard some say it is a bit too advanced before doing classical mechanics).

Also, being 12 and learning calculus/basic physics is quite an achievement.

I think the 12th edition of Young & Freedman is the best of the three, something really cool that you could watch before or while trying that is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mechanical_Universe
which is all free on youtube etc...
THank you! I'm just waiting for another recommendation and I will pick Young-Freedman.

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I think Young and Freedman's University Physics is a good choice, but I also like Halliday and Resnick Fundamentals of Physics, perhaps because that is the text I used 50 years ago and it's still going stong...I'm sure my edition was an earlier version of course...:wink:.

Looks like MIT uses University Physics.

If you can afford it..get them both...good to have a backup when you don't understand something....

Likes 1 person
I think Young and Freedman's University Physics is a good choice, but I also like Halliday and Resnick Fundamentals of Physics, perhaps because that is the text I used 50 years ago and it's still going stong...I'm sure my edition was an earlier version of course...:wink:.

Looks like MIT uses University Physics.

If you can afford it..get them both...good to have a backup when you don't understand something....
Thank you! :D I'm learning from the web and I do have them both so I'll have fun! ;)