Introductory physics textbook: which to choose? =)

In summary, Ali from Niger recommends reading "Conceptual physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and then trying "University physics" by Young and Freeman. She also recommends watching a free introduction to mechanics video on youtube before beginning classical mechanics.
si3zi
Hello so lovely people! I present my self: Ali, 12 years old from Niger, I decided to start learning physics on my own.Some people first recommended me to read a book titled "Conceptual physics" to get the sense of what we are doing physics, I have read it and it is excellent!

Now I try to go a little bit further, and I found three interesting books:

1. Helliday & Resnick - Fundamentals of physics
  2. Young-Freeman - University physics
  3. Seway-Jewett - Physics for scientists and engineers

Which to choose my lovely people?

Thank you.

(psst... I already learned calculus)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please you may say this is not of importance... But no! it is important to me!

I think the 12th edition of Young & Freedman is the best of the three, something really cool that you could watch before or while trying that is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mechanical_Universe
which is all free on youtube etc...

I have done only an introduction to physics, so I can't say much, however I have often seen books like Kleppner's Mechanics book often recommended along with an EM book by Purcell (though I have heard some say it is a bit too advanced before doing classical mechanics).

Also, being 12 and learning calculus/basic physics is quite an achievement.

bolbteppa said:
I think the 12th edition of Young & Freedman is the best of the three, something really cool that you could watch before or while trying that is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mechanical_Universe
which is all free on youtube etc...

THank you! I'm just waiting for another recommendation and I will pick Young-Freedman.

I think Young and Freedman's University Physics is a good choice, but I also like Halliday and Resnick Fundamentals of Physics, perhaps because that is the text I used 50 years ago and it's still going stong...I'm sure my edition was an earlier version of course...:wink:.

Looks like MIT uses University Physics.

If you can afford it..get them both...good to have a backup when you don't understand something...

Likes 1 person
PhanthomJay said:
I think Young and Freedman's University Physics is a good choice, but I also like Halliday and Resnick Fundamentals of Physics, perhaps because that is the text I used 50 years ago and it's still going stong...I'm sure my edition was an earlier version of course...:wink:.

Looks like MIT uses University Physics.

If you can afford it..get them both...good to have a backup when you don't understand something...

Thank you! :D I'm learning from the web and I do have them both so I'll have fun! ;)

1. Which introductory physics textbook is the best for beginners?

The best introductory physics textbook for beginners will depend on the individual's learning style and background knowledge. Some popular options include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker, and "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. It is recommended to preview each textbook and see which one aligns with your learning style and has the most comprehensive explanations and examples that you find helpful.

2. What is the difference between algebra-based and calculus-based introductory physics textbooks?

The main difference between these two types of textbooks is the level of mathematical rigor and complexity. Algebra-based textbooks focus on using basic algebraic equations to solve physics problems, while calculus-based textbooks use more advanced concepts like derivatives and integrals. Generally, algebra-based textbooks are more suitable for students who have not taken calculus, while calculus-based textbooks are better for students who have a strong math background.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement an introductory physics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement introductory physics textbooks. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and Physics Forums. These resources offer additional explanations, examples, and practice problems that can help reinforce concepts learned from the textbook.

4. How important is it to have a physical copy of the textbook versus an electronic version?

This will depend on personal preference and the individual's learning style. Some students prefer having a physical copy of the textbook to make notes and highlight important information, while others find it more convenient to have an electronic version that can be accessed on a laptop or tablet. It is recommended to choose the format that works best for you.

5. Can I use an older edition of the textbook instead of the latest edition?

In most cases, it is possible to use an older edition of the textbook instead of the latest edition. However, it is important to check with your instructor to ensure that the older edition covers all the necessary topics and has the same problem sets as the latest edition. In some cases, the newer edition may have updated information or additional resources that could be beneficial to your learning.