Conservation of Newtonian Force and the Invariance of Maxwell's Equations

In summary: This is a difficult question to answer, because it depends on the specifics of the case. But in general, if we allow the Galilean transformations in the wave equation, then we get a wave equation that is still a good approximation, provided that the wave speeds are small compared to the speed of light.
davidge
The electromagnetic wave equation being of the same form in all intertial frames is because Newton's force is a vector quantity? I mean, if the wave equation changes its form from a intertial frame to another one, would the electromagnetic force be different in the two frames?

I know that one of the Eintein's postulates is that laws of nature are invariant under change of intertial frames. Also, I know that one can argue that it should be this way independently from Newton's theory. (e.g. by guessing the Eintein's elevator).

But would conservation of Newtonian force be another way to say that the electromagnetic wave equation should be the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
davidge said:
The electromagnetic wave equation being of the same form in all intertial frames is because Newton's force is a vector quantity?

I'm not sure why you talk about "Newton's force" here, since Newtonian mechanics is not Lorentz invariant.

davidge said:
one of the Eintein's postulates is that laws of nature are invariant under change of intertial frames

Yes, but "change of inertial frames" here means Lorentz transformations. Newtonian mechanics is not invariant under Lorentz transformations. The equations of electromagnetism (Maxwell's Equations, from which the wave equation for electromagnetic waves can be derived) are, but there is no "Newtonian force" in those equations. There is an equation for the Lorentz force which is Lorentz covariant, but it's an equation for a 4-vector, not a 3-vector.

davidge said:
I know that one can argue that it should be this way independently from Newton's theory. (e.g. by guessing the Eintein's elevator)

Einstein's "elevator" thought experiment, if it's the one I think you're talking about, was not about Lorentz invariance but about the equivalence principle, which is a separate concept.

davidge said:
conservation of Newtonian force

Newtonian force is not conserved, so again I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

Likes davidge
PeterDonis said:
I'm not sure why you talk about "Newton's force" here, since Newtonian mechanics is not Lorentz invariant.
It's not Lorentz invariant, but it is invariant from one inertial frame to another, isn't?
PeterDonis said:
was not about Lorentz invariance but about the equivalence principle, which is a separate concept
Oh, I thought these were the same thing.
PeterDonis said:
Newtonian force is not conserved, so again I'm not sure what you're talking about here.
Isn't Newtonian force conserved under change of inertial frames?

davidge said:
It's not Lorentz invariant, but it is invariant from one inertial frame to another, isn't?

"Lorentz invariant" and "invariant from one inertial frame to another" are the same thing.

Before special relativity was discovered, it was thought that "invariant from one inertial frame to another" meant the kind of invariance that Newtonian physics obeys, which is called Galilean invariance. But now we understand that that's not the case--the correct kind of invariance from one inertial frame to another is Lorentz invariance, not Galilean invariance. (If the velocity difference between the two frames is much smaller than the speed of light, the difference between the two kinds of invariance is not detectable, which is one reason why it took so long to figure out the difference.)

davidge said:
Isn't Newtonian force conserved under change of inertial frames?

No. See above.

Likes SiennaTheGr8 and davidge
Ah, ok. Thanks.

So what is the reason the electromagnetic wave equation should have the same form in all inertial frames?

davidge said:
So what is the reason the electromagnetic wave equation should have the same form in all inertial frames?
It's not just E&M; we expect all the laws of physics to have the same form in all inertial frames. We expect this because it is equivalent (with some slight hand-waving) to saying that we expect (intuitively, and also with abundant experimental support) that experiments in terrestrial physics labs will yield the same results in June and December, even though the lab is moving in a completely different direction.

The key question is how are inertial frames related to one another? For centuries it was assumed that they were related by the Galilean transformations, under which Newton's laws are invariant. When Maxwell discovered his laws of electromagnetism in 1861, it soon became apparent that they are not invariant under the Galilean transformations; therefore if the Galilean transformations were the correct way to relate inertial frames, then the laws of physics could not conform to our expectation that they all would be the same in all inertial frames. This was the great unsolved problem of physics in the second half of the 19th century, and it absorbed the energies of two entire generations of physicists.

Einstein's contribution was to demonstrate that if inertial frames were related by the Lorentz transformations instead of the Galilean ones, then Newtonian physics becomes not exactly correct but still a very good approximation, and everything can be made to work properly.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK, davidge and vanhees71
I understand what you say. My question actually is, what would happen specifically in the electromagnetic case if we allow the galelian transformation in the wave equation? How do we know that
$$- \frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2}\phi + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\phi + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2}\phi + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial z^2}\phi = - \frac{\partial^2}{\partial t'^2}\phi' + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x'^2}\phi' + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y'^2}\phi' + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial z'^2}\phi'$$

The Maxwell equations are not Galilei invariant. I don't understand the debate in this thread to begin with :-(.

davidge said:
what would happen specifically in the electromagnetic case if we allow the galelian transformation in the wave equation

What do you mean by "allow"? The transformation properties of the electromagnetic wave equation are easy to verify mathematically. Do the math and you will see that the equation is left invariant by Lorentz transformations, but not by Galilei transformations. There's nothing to "allow"; it's a mathematical fact.

Likes Dale
PeterDonis said:
the equation is left invariant by Lorentz transformations, but not by Galilei transformations
PeterDonis said:
There's nothing to "allow"; it's a mathematical fact
Yes. I do know that. What I'm asking is how one knows that using galilean transformation gives a wave equation that doesn't describe the actual physics.

PeterDonis said:
What do you mean by "allow"?
I mean what if we just use galilean transform for expressing the wave equation in another inertial frame

davidge said:
I mean what if we just use galilean transform for expressing the wave equation in another inertial frame
Why don't you try it out yourself. Write down a simple plane wave. Confirm that it satisfies all of Maxwell's equations in vacuum. Use the Galilean transformation. Check if it still satisfies Maxwell's equations in vacuum.

Likes PeterDonis and davidge
Dale said:
Why don't you try it out yourself. Write down a simple plane wave. Confirm that it satisfies all of Maxwell's equations in vacuum. Use the Galilean transformation. Check if it still satisfies Maxwell's equations in vacuum.
Ok. I will!

1. What is the concept of "invariance of physical laws"?

The invariance of physical laws is the principle that states the fundamental laws of nature, such as the laws of physics, do not change under certain transformations or changes in perspective. This means that the laws of nature are consistent and unchanging regardless of the observer or the conditions in which they are observed.

2. How does the principle of invariance apply to different areas of science?

The principle of invariance applies to all areas of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and even social sciences. In physics, it is often referred to as the "principle of relativity" and is a fundamental concept in understanding the laws of motion, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. In chemistry, it helps to explain the behavior of atoms and molecules, while in biology it is essential in understanding evolution and the functioning of living organisms.

3. What are some examples of physical laws that exhibit invariance?

Some examples of physical laws that exhibit invariance include the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. The law of gravity is also an example of invariance, as it applies to all objects in the universe, regardless of their mass or position.

4. How does the concept of invariance relate to the concept of symmetry?

Invariance and symmetry are closely related concepts. Symmetry refers to the balance or similarity of something, while invariance refers to its unchanging nature. In physics, symmetry is often used to describe the invariance of physical laws under different transformations, such as rotation or translation. This helps scientists to simplify complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

5. Are there any exceptions to the principle of invariance?

While the principle of invariance is a fundamental concept in understanding the laws of nature, there are some exceptions. One example is the theory of general relativity, which suggests that the laws of physics may differ in extreme environments, such as near black holes. Additionally, some theories, such as string theory, propose the existence of extra dimensions that could potentially violate the principle of invariance. However, these are still theories and have not been conclusively proven.