Is Heart Rate Invariant in Different States of Motion?

In summary, the law of physics is invariant in every inertial frame. This means that the rate at which time passes for an observer is the same no matter how they are moving.
aclaret
just something i think about, maybe it difficult to answer.

i know, from study, that any observer moving along his world-line - in any state of motion - will not himself notice any difference to the rate which time passes for him. example: his heart-rate will feel normal (well, so long as he not stressed ;) !), his watch tick at normal rate, whatever (even, maybe he could use his heart as a clock!). and of course, the “time he experience” is nothing but integral of d##\tau##, the natural parameterisation (“propre” time) along world-line.

I "know" this to be true, from books, but i sometimes like to know how to deduce things beyond any doubt. is it possible to give a simple argument, to convince anyone that your heart indeed beat the same way for any observer?

see - at first i thought this obvious - it because if law of physics invariant in every inertial frame (heart rate govern by chemical reaction, govern by electromagnetism, govern by law of physic...), then could ask: “well, suppose it do beat faster in a certain given state of the motion, then which one does it beat faster or slower in?". then, by symmetry, you forced to admit it beat same in every inertial frame. BUT, we know that heart-rate would also feels the same for an observer in non-inertial motion. so maybe, this argument not sufficient.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If your heart beats once per second and your watch ticks once per second, they are always in sync. All observers must agree with this.

Likes FactChecker and aclaret
Vanadium 50 said:
If your heart beats once per second and your watch ticks once per second, they are always in sync. All observers must agree with this.

yes, that indeed is certain.

yes, suppose could say "well, proper time is define as time experience by observer, and if that proportional to heart rate, proposition follow". but it not intuitive to me, at least not at deep level, why proper time is constrain to correlate with "time experienced". i certain it correct, but if i wanted to explain say, my mom, why - i do not know I could provide intuitive answer.

also, at least in IRF, proposition follow from symmetry. but for non-inertial frame, not obvious to me how to set up similar argument.

It's effectively a postulate of GR that the length of a spacetime path is the time measured by a clock traveling along that path. This needs to be be tested, as I wouldn't assume it's intuitive. On a non-inertial path, the clock must remain accurate and not be affected by the forces on it.

In general, using things like heart rate to measure time is a bad idea as it's not something that can be relied upon. If someone goes on a rollercoaster, then their heart rate is likely to go up, so the number of heartbeats may not be an accurate measure of how long they spent on the rollercoaster.

The test of the postulate, therefore, would be to count physical processes that you expect to be unaffected by the non-inertial trajectory.

Likes aclaret
PeroK, you hit the nail on the head. makes me relief that I'm not a complete failure just because i could not reason intuitively why proper time constrain to correlate with time measure by clock ;)

ok, after your post i am satisfied. thank :)

Likes PeroK

1. How does physical activity affect heart rate?

Physical activity can significantly affect heart rate. When we engage in physical activity, our muscles require more oxygen to function. This increased demand for oxygen causes our heart to beat faster and harder to pump blood to our muscles. As a result, our heart rate increases to meet the demands of our body's increased activity level.

2. What is the relationship between heart rate and motion?

The relationship between heart rate and motion is that heart rate increases with motion. When we are in motion, our muscles require more oxygen, which causes our heart to beat faster to supply the necessary oxygen. The more intense the motion, the higher our heart rate will be.

3. How does heart rate differ between different types of motion?

Heart rate can vary depending on the type of motion we engage in. For example, activities that require more muscle groups, such as running or swimming, will typically result in a higher heart rate compared to activities that use fewer muscle groups, like walking. Additionally, the intensity of the motion will also affect heart rate, with more intense activities resulting in a higher heart rate.

4. Can heart rate be used to measure the intensity of physical activity?

Yes, heart rate can be used as an indicator of the intensity of physical activity. The higher the heart rate, the more intense the physical activity. This is because our heart rate increases as our body's demand for oxygen increases during physical activity. However, it is important to note that heart rate can also be affected by other factors, such as stress or medication, so it should not be the only measure of physical activity intensity.

5. How long does it take for heart rate to return to normal after physical activity?

The time it takes for heart rate to return to normal after physical activity can vary depending on the intensity and duration of the activity. In general, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours for heart rate to return to its resting rate. Factors such as age, fitness level, and overall health can also affect the recovery time of heart rate after physical activity.