Inverse Lapalce transform (inre convolution integral)

In summary, the conversation focused on determining a general method for finding inverse Laplace transforms of a product of two Laplace transform functions. It was mentioned that the convolution integral can be used to calculate the product, but the process is not straightforward. The textbook mentioned the possibility of using integration to find the inverse Laplace transform of the product, but it was not specified which method (such as the expansion theorem or residue theorem) should be used. Further research may be necessary to determine the best approach.
94ekim

Homework Statement

trying to determine a general method for doing inverse-Laplace transforms of a product of two Laplace Transform (L.T.) functions f1(s) and f2(s) where f1(s) and f2(s) are the LTs of F1(t) and F2(t).

The scenario is for calculating the convolution integral for F1(t)*F2(t)

If I know the inverse-LT for f1(s) and f2(s), but the product f1(s)f2(s) is quite messy and does not lend itself to any easily identifiable inverse-LT (in what LT tables I have; but maybe I just need to look more carefully), is there a way to get the inverse-LT knowing the individual inverse-LTs?

Homework Equations

G(t)=F1(t)*F2(t) = f1(s)f2(s) = g(s)
G(t)=inverse-LT of g(s)

The Attempt at a Solution

I see a brief reference to a method, but there's no explanation.

in an old textbook "Mathematical Methods in Chemical Engineering Volume 3; Seinfeld and Lapidus, 1974" on page 62

Working with the notion of the convolution integral

below eqn 3.1.36

"Note that if the inverse of L.T.s of f1(s) and f2(s) are known, the inverse L.T. of the product can be obtained by integration."

here "the product" is f1(s)f2(s)

My only guess is I need to employ the "Residue Theorem" on the complex inversion integral of g(s) above.

Physics news on Phys.org
We have the convolution * is defined by

[tex]f*g = \int_{0}^{t}f(u)g(t-u)du[/tex]

And there's a theorem about this and Laplace transforms (call the Laplace operator L)

[tex]L(f*g) = L(f).L(g)[/tex] where I use . to denote multiplication since * is already used as convolution So

[tex] f*g = L^{-1}(L(f).L(g))[/tex] and hence given h.k where h and k are laplace transforms of two functions you know, you can find the laplace inverse of h.k by using the convolution of their individual inverses.

If you're wondering where to read about this, I got this out of 'Differential and Integral Equations' by Peter J. Collins, chapter 14 section 3

O_Shredder:

I think I understand your response, but I'm not 100%.

In short I interpret your response this way:
...to get the inverse-LT (L-1) of L(f).L(g), I just convolute the inverse-LT of L(f) by the inverse-LT of L(g). In otherwords, L-1(L(f).L(g)) = f*g

Is that right?

If so, I think we talked each other into circles.
My principle goal is to calculate f*g.
So I planned to do that by taking the L-1 of L(f).L(g).

Getting L(f) and L(g) are easy. However, L(f).L(g) produces a more complex function for which I can not easily get the L-1.

I found a mention in a text (see above) that:
"if the inverse of L.T.s of f1(s) and f2(s) are known, the inverse L.T. of the product can be obtained by integration."

I wasn't sure what was meant there "by integration."
It didn't say specifically anything like "expansion theorem" or "residue theorem".

Haha... I got confused by your f's and F's in your OP... that's my bad. Reading what you quoted in the book it sounds like they might want you to find the inverse L.T. of the product via the convolution. I don't have the particular book you cited, but I looked around a bit and couldn't find an alternate method (which doesn't mean there isn't one though)

I'll likley have to make a serious effort here??
Go figure.

thanks for your help

What is an Inverse Laplace Transform?

An Inverse Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the Laplace domain and converts it into its original form in the time domain. It is the reverse process of the Laplace Transform, which converts a function from the time domain to the Laplace domain.

What is the Convolution Integral in Inverse Laplace Transform?

The Convolution Integral in Inverse Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that is used to find the inverse Laplace Transform of a function. It involves integrating the product of two functions in the Laplace domain, one being the original function and the other being a special function called the impulse response function.

What is the significance of Inverse Laplace Transform in science and engineering?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is a powerful tool used in science and engineering for solving differential equations. It allows us to convert complex functions in the Laplace domain into simpler forms in the time domain, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of systems. It has applications in various fields such as control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis.

What are the common techniques used to calculate Inverse Laplace Transform?

There are several techniques for calculating Inverse Laplace Transform, including partial fraction decomposition, power series expansion, and contour integration. The choice of technique depends on the complexity of the function and the desired accuracy of the solution.

Can Inverse Laplace Transform be applied to all functions?

No, Inverse Laplace Transform can only be applied to functions that have a Laplace Transform. This means that the function must be continuous and have a finite number of discontinuities in the time domain. Additionally, the function must also satisfy certain conditions, such as being locally integrable and having a finite number of singularities in the Laplace domain.