Inverse trig functions and pythagorean identity

In summary, the pythagorean identity does not directly relate to the antiderivative of arcsin(x), which can be found using integration by parts and substitution. The antiderivative is x*arcsin(x) + sqrt(1 - x^2) + C.
Moonflower
Hi. I'm having trouble trying to understand the relationship between inverse trig functions, especially arcsin x, and pythagorean identity. I know that because cosx=sqrt(1-(sinx)^2), derivative of arcsin x is 1/(cos(arcsin x)) = 1/(sqrt(1-(sinx)^2)arcsinx)) = 1/(sqrt(1-x^2). But how does pythagorean identity relate with antiderivative of arcsin, which is x arcsin x + sqrt(1-x^2) + C?

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonflower said:
Hi. I'm having trouble trying to understand the relationship between inverse trig functions, especially arcsin x, and pythagorean identity. I know that because cosx=sqrt(1-(sinx)^2), derivative of arcsin x is 1/(cos(arcsin x)) = 1/(sqrt(1-(sinx)^2)arcsinx)) = 1/(sqrt(1-x^2). But how does pythagorean identity relate with antiderivative of arcsin, which is x arcsin x + sqrt(1-x^2) + C?
I don't see that the pythagorean identity enters into it at all. To find the antiderivative of arcsin(x), use integration by parts, with u = arcsin(x) and dv = dx. If you don't understand how this works, let me know and I'll fill in the details.

Mark44: Actually, I would be thankful if you can explain how the antiderivative of arcsin (x) works, because I have trouble understanding the concept. Thanks.

Let u = arcsin(x) and dv = dx
So du = dx/sqrt(1 - x^2), v = x
[tex]\int arcsin(x) dx = x*arcsin(x) - \int \frac{x dx}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}[/tex]

For the integral on the right, let w = 1 - x^2, so dw = -2xdx

[tex]= x*arcsin(x) - (-1/2)\int u^{-1/2}du = x*arcsin(x) + u^{1/2} + C[/tex]
[tex]= x*arcsin(x) + \sqrt{1 - x^2} + C[/tex]

1. What are inverse trigonometric functions?

Inverse trigonometric functions, also known as arc trigonometric functions, are the inverse operations of the basic trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant). They are used to find the angle measures of a right triangle when given the lengths of its sides.

2. How are inverse trigonometric functions related to Pythagorean identity?

The Pythagorean identity, which states that sine squared plus cosine squared equals one, is a fundamental relationship in trigonometry. Inverse trigonometric functions use this identity to find the missing angle measure in a right triangle by using the ratios of sine, cosine, and tangent.

3. What is the purpose of using inverse trigonometric functions?

Inverse trigonometric functions are used to solve real-life problems involving angles and distances. They are also used in calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts to find derivatives and integrals of trigonometric functions.

4. How are inverse trigonometric functions denoted?

Inverse trigonometric functions are denoted by adding an "arc" before the name of the basic trigonometric function. For example, the inverse of sine is denoted as arcsin, the inverse of cosine is arccos, and the inverse of tangent is arctan.

5. What is the domain and range of inverse trigonometric functions?

The domain of inverse trigonometric functions is the set of all real numbers, except for certain values that result in undefined expressions. The range of inverse trigonometric functions depends on the specific function, but it is usually limited to a specific interval of values.