Inverter circuit shoot-thru HELP

In summary, the speaker is working on an inverter project using a tl494 PWM IC running at 50 to 200Khz, a discrete gate driver, a gate drive transformer made with 6 turns of cat5 cable, and an H-bridge of mosfets. They are having trouble PWM-ing the output and have observed a sine wave instead of a square wave when connecting the GDT to the mosfets. They are using 33ohm resistors on the gates with +/- 15V gate voltage. Despite using a +/- gate drive set up, they are still experiencing shoot-thru when increasing the duty cycle beyond 30%. They have tried using a 100 ohm load and
famousken
Hey everyone, I am working on a project right now and am having some problems with it. It is an inverter consisting of a tl494 PWM IC running at 50 to 200Khz, discrete gate driver, gate drive transformer made with 6 turns of cat5 cable, and an H-bridge of mosfets, irfp840s I think. Anyways, my problem is that I can't PWM the output, I scoped the output of my gate driver and its good, nice square wave output, same thru the GDT, but when I hook the GDT to my mosfets, The waveform looks more like a sine wave than a square wave. I am using 33ohm resistors on the gates, with +/- 15V gate voltage. The output of the H bridge is a clean square wave, but I can't PWM it, Ill turn the duty cycle down on the tl494 and the output will still be 100%, If I turn the duty cycle up past around 30%, I get shoot-thru, even though I am using a +/- gate drive set up, anyone have any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You would have to put a load across the centre of the H-Bridge and observe the waveform across it with a differential oscilloscope.

Maybe a load of about 100 ohms.

Are you already doing that?

Yes, but I am able to see a waveform with or without a load. I have been using a 60W light bulb as a test load and a 10:1 probe

1. What is an inverter circuit shoot-thru?

An inverter circuit shoot-thru is when both high-side and low-side transistors in an inverter circuit are conducting at the same time, causing a short circuit. This can lead to damage to the circuit and components.

2. Why does shoot-thru occur in an inverter circuit?

Shoot-thru can occur in an inverter circuit due to overlapping gate signals, incorrect timing, or a malfunctioning circuit component.

3. What are the consequences of shoot-thru in an inverter circuit?

The consequences of shoot-thru can include damage to the circuit and components, decreased efficiency, and unreliable operation of the circuit.

4. How can shoot-thru be prevented in an inverter circuit?

Shoot-thru can be prevented by using proper gate driver circuitry, careful timing of gate signals, and ensuring all components are functioning correctly. Adding a dead time between the high-side and low-side switches can also help prevent shoot-thru.

5. What should I do if shoot-thru occurs in my inverter circuit?

If shoot-thru occurs in your inverter circuit, first check all components for any malfunctioning parts. Adjusting gate signals and adding a dead time between switches may also help prevent future shoot-thru. If the problem persists, consult with a professional or experienced engineer for further troubleshooting and assistance.