Can You Derive the Gain Equation for a Non-Ideal Op Amp?

In summary: No, I did not derive the correct result without any help. I drew the equivalent circuit on my own and then used the equation relevant to op-amp operation.
GRW
[ mod note: thread title corrected ]

Hi All,

My first post in the forums, hopefully I'll be able to give out as much help as I receive. I'm currently stuck on an Op Amp gain derivation.

Attached is the question and diagram, the derivation I am struggling with is part B.

I understand the gain for this Op Amp were it ideal would be 1+ Rf/R1 but I cannot seem to derive the equation if the input resistance is not ideal.

Thanks in advance,

George

Capture2.PNG
Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi GRW. :welcome:

You won't be able to derive the equation in (b) until you have completed part (a), drawing the equivalent circuit with ideal components.

Thanks for your reply Nascent,

I have already completed part A but I can't see how is it that relevant to part B? I know the equivalent circuit and that Rin is in the Op Amp internally and that A is the Op Amp gain.

Any further guidance on how the two relate / where to start with part B would be much appreciated.

Can you attach your completed circuit diagram for (a), with RI and RF arranged around it as in Fig Q1.

Sorry but I don't have any way of uploading my paper working to a computer. It is as in Fig 1, with Rin linked between the + and - terminals of the Op Amp.

GRW said:
Sorry but I don't have any way of uploading my paper working to a computer. It is as in Fig 1, with Rin linked between the + and - terminals of the Op Amp.
That is the circuit you analyze, but this time without a reliance on the dodge of a "virtual earth".

It's the circuit analysis for the derivation here that I am struggling with. Sorry if my initial explanation was poor.

You draw a large circuit diagram. Mark vin. Label the voltage at the input to the amplifier proper, at the junction of the 3 resistances, I called it va.

How will you label the output of the amplifier?

GRW said:
[ mod note: thread title corrected ]

Hi All,

My first post in the forums, hopefully I'll be able to give out as much help as I receive. I'm currently stuck on an Op Amp gain derivation.
Attached is the question and diagram, the derivation I am struggling with is part B.
I understand the gain for this Op Amp were it ideal would be 1+ Rf/R1 but I cannot seem to derive the equation if the input resistance is not ideal.
Thanks in advance
George

View attachment 86256View attachment 86255

Question to you: The input voltage is connected (via a resistor) to the inverting terminal of the opamp. Wouldn`t you expect a negative gain in this case?
(Your ideal gain value (1+Rf/R1) is not correct!)
You have stated: "I understand that the gain ...".
Did you really "understand"? I don`t hope that you understood a false result! That would be fatal!.

Last edited:
a) This you must draw on your own. If you could somehow take a picture and upload it, we could verify if it is correct. What do you think the ideal values for ##A##, ##R_{in}##, and ##R_{out}## are? Hint: Think about preserving the signal. Do you need a large input impedance or a small one?

b) For the closed loop gain, what equation is relevant to op-amp operation? Use this equation, and the virtual ground between ##R_1## and ##R_F##.

Thanks for all your help guys, after a decent sleep last night I woke up this morning and after re reading the suggestions I was able to derive it no trouble. Thanks again and I look forward to being part of the forum!
GRW

GRW said:
Thanks for all your help guys, after a decent sleep last night I woke up this morning and after re reading the suggestions I was able to derive it no trouble. Thanks again and I look forward to being part of the forum!
GRW
GRW, to be honest - did you derive the correct result really without any help?

1. What is an inverting non ideal op amp?

An inverting non ideal op amp is a type of operational amplifier that is commonly used in analog circuits. It is characterized by having a negative feedback loop, where the output signal is fed back to the input in an inverted form. This results in an amplified output signal that is opposite in phase to the input signal.

2. How does an inverting non ideal op amp work?

An inverting non ideal op amp works by using a high gain differential amplifier with negative feedback. The input signal is applied to the inverting input, while the non-inverting input is connected to a fixed voltage reference. The op amp amplifies the difference between the two inputs and outputs an inverted version of the input signal.

3. What are the advantages of using an inverting non ideal op amp?

One of the main advantages of using an inverting non ideal op amp is its high gain and low distortion. It also has a wide frequency response and can be used in a variety of applications such as amplifiers, filters, and oscillators. Additionally, it is relatively inexpensive and easy to use.

4. What are the limitations of an inverting non ideal op amp?

Some of the limitations of an inverting non ideal op amp include input offset voltage, input bias current, and limited output voltage swing. It also requires a dual power supply, which can increase cost and complexity in some circuits. Additionally, it may exhibit instability or oscillation if not properly designed.

5. How can I improve the performance of an inverting non ideal op amp?

To improve the performance of an inverting non ideal op amp, you can use external components such as resistors and capacitors to compensate for the op amp's non-ideal characteristics. This can help reduce offset voltage, bias current, and improve frequency response. Additionally, careful circuit design and proper decoupling can also improve performance.