Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ionice equation help

1. Jun 13, 2005 #1
    Ionic equation help

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me work through an Ionic equation question step by step. (Its been a few years since I've done this stuff, and I think if I work through an example It'll come back)

This is a question from my textbook. I have the answer already....just not sure exactly how to get to it.

1) Chromium dipped into silver nitrate.

so thats:

Cr(s) + AgNO3(l) ---------->

Now i understand that a reaction WILL occur here because Cr is higher than Ag on the activity series.

Step 1 is to write a balanced equation...

...and here is where I start to need help..

Cr(s) + AgNO3(aq) ---------->

now I know that the NO3 will no be with Cr ... CrN03 and that Ag will be by itself.

Cr(s) + AgNO3(aq) ----------> CrN03 + Ag

............................................ok Cr^+1 and Ag is ^+1, how do i figure out the electron arrangement of NO3 again?

thanks

BTW the final answer is

Cr(s) + 2Ag^+(aq) ---------------> Cr^2+(aq) + 2Ag (down)
    Nitrate ions are the spectators

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The final answer tells you the correct oxidation state of Cr-ions in this case (+2), but you have used +1 instead.

Redo the original equation (balance it correctly) and we can take it from there...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?