1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ionice equation help

1. Jun 13, 2005 #1
    Ionic equation help

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me work through an Ionic equation question step by step. (Its been a few years since I've done this stuff, and I think if I work through an example It'll come back)

This is a question from my textbook. I have the answer already....just not sure exactly how to get to it.

1) Chromium dipped into silver nitrate.

so thats:

Cr(s) + AgNO3(l) ---------->

Now i understand that a reaction WILL occur here because Cr is higher than Ag on the activity series.

Step 1 is to write a balanced equation...

...and here is where I start to need help..

Cr(s) + AgNO3(aq) ---------->

now I know that the NO3 will no be with Cr ... CrN03 and that Ag will be by itself.

Cr(s) + AgNO3(aq) ----------> CrN03 + Ag

............................................ok Cr^+1 and Ag is ^+1, how do i figure out the electron arrangement of NO3 again?

thanks

BTW the final answer is

Cr(s) + 2Ag^+(aq) ---------------> Cr^2+(aq) + 2Ag (down)
    Nitrate ions are the spectators

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The final answer tells you the correct oxidation state of Cr-ions in this case (+2), but you have used +1 instead.

Redo the original equation (balance it correctly) and we can take it from there...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?