Solve Ionic Equation: Cr + AgNO₃ → CrN₃ + Ag

• Thread starter Jchem
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone needing help with an Ionic equation question. They provide an example and ask for step by step guidance. The question is about the reaction between chromium and silver nitrate, and the answer involves balancing the equation and determining the correct oxidation state of the ions involved. Nitrate ions are identified as the spectators in the final answer.
Jchem
Ionic equation help

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me work through an Ionic equation question step by step. (Its been a few years since I've done this stuff, and I think if I work through an example It'll come back)

This is a question from my textbook. I have the answer already...just not sure exactly how to get to it.

1) Chromium dipped into silver nitrate.

so thats:

Cr(s) + AgNO3(l) ---------->

Now i understand that a reaction WILL occur here because Cr is higher than Ag on the activity series.

Step 1 is to write a balanced equation...

...and here is where I start to need help..

Cr(s) + AgNO3(aq) ---------->

now I know that the NO3 will no be with Cr ... CrN03 and that Ag will be by itself.

Cr(s) + AgNO3(aq) ----------> CrN03 + Ag

.........ok Cr^+1 and Ag is ^+1, how do i figure out the electron arrangement of NO3 again?

thanks

BTW the final answer is

Cr(s) + 2Ag^+(aq) ---------------> Cr^2+(aq) + 2Ag (down)
Nitrate ions are the spectators

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The final answer tells you the correct oxidation state of Cr-ions in this case (+2), but you have used +1 instead.

Redo the original equation (balance it correctly) and we can take it from there...

, so they do not need to be included in the ionic equation. Now, let's balance the charges on each side.

On the left side, we have Cr with a charge of 0 and Ag with a charge of +1, so the total charge is +1.

On the right side, we have Cr with a charge of +2 and Ag with a charge of 0, so the total charge is also +1.

To balance the charges, we need to add one more Ag ion on the left side.

Cr(s) + 2Ag^+(aq) ---------------> Cr^2+(aq) + 2Ag (down)

This is the ionic equation for the reaction. The CrN03 and the extra Ag ion are the products of the reaction.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is an ionic equation?

An ionic equation is a chemical equation that shows the formation of ionic compounds by representing the dissociated ions in a solution. It only shows the species that are involved in the reaction and excludes any spectator ions that do not participate in the reaction.

2. How do you solve an ionic equation?

To solve an ionic equation, you need to first write the balanced molecular equation, then separate all the ionic compounds into their individual ions, and finally cancel out any spectator ions that appear on both sides of the equation. The remaining ions will form the ionic equation.

3. What is the product of the given ionic equation?

The product of the given ionic equation is CrN₃ and Ag. These are the ionic compounds that are formed from the reaction between Cr and AgNO₃.

4. What is the purpose of solving an ionic equation?

The purpose of solving an ionic equation is to understand the chemical reaction at a molecular level and to determine the products that will be formed. It also helps to identify the ions that are actually involved in the reaction and those that are just spectators.

5. What are some key things to remember when solving ionic equations?

When solving ionic equations, it is important to remember to balance the charges of the ions on both sides of the equation, to cancel out any spectator ions, and to write the final equation with the correct states of matter for each compound (solid, liquid, gas, or aqueous).