Iron ball in water, reading on weighing machine

In summary, the buoyant force between the water and stone is an internal force and can be ignored, while the tension in the string is an external force and must be taken into consideration.
unscientific
What is the reading on the scale for the first one?? My friend mentioned that upthrust need not be considered as its an 'internal force', i wonder why??

Shouldnt' the net force dowards be (Weight of stone - pVg) + (Weight of water + pVg) as the water experiences an equal an opposite downthrust (exerted by the stone on water) due to it exerting upthrust on stone?

For the 2nd case there is a string,

the net force downwards be (Weight of stone - pVg - T) + (Weight of water + pVg), as the water experiences an equal an opposite downthrust (exerted by the stone on water) due to it exerting upthrust on stone?
Furthermore, since the ball is in static and dynamic equilibrium, T + pVg = mg, therefore (Weight of stone - pVg - T) = 0
So the reading no the scale would be = Weight of water + pVg(further workings)
The difference in scale readings would be (Weight of water + weight of iron ball) - (Weight of water + pVg) = Weight of iron ball - pVg = T

So the difference is just tension T.

Attachments

• upthrust1.jpg
    upthrust1.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 436
  • upthrust2.jpg
    upthrust2.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:
What is the reading on the scale for the first one?? My friend mentioned that upthrust need not be considered as its an 'internal force', i wonder why??

Shouldnt' the net force dowards be (Weight of stone - pVg) + (Weight of water + pVg) as the water experiences an equal an opposite downthrust (exerted by the stone on water) due to it exerting upthrust on stone?
Note that what you call the "upthrust" is exactly canceled by the "downthrust"--this is no coincidence. These are the buoyant force between water and stone, thus they are internal forces to the system of "beaker + water + stone" and can be ignored. The weight measured by the scale is the just the weight of the contents, as one might expect. (But your analysis is perfectly correct.)

For the 2nd case there is a string,

the net force downwards be (Weight of stone - pVg - T) + (Weight of water + pVg), as the water experiences an equal an opposite downthrust (exerted by the stone on water) due to it exerting upthrust on stone?
Furthermore, since the ball is in static and dynamic equilibrium, T + pVg = mg, therefore (Weight of stone - pVg - T) = 0
So the reading no the scale would be = Weight of water + pVg

(further workings)
The difference in scale readings would be (Weight of water + weight of iron ball) - (Weight of water + pVg) = Weight of iron ball - pVg = T

So the difference is just tension T.
All good.

Doc Al said:
Note that what you call the "upthrust" is exactly canceled by the "downthrust"--this is no coincidence. These are the buoyant force between water and stone, thus they are internal forces to the system of "beaker + water + stone" and can be ignored. The weight measured by the scale is the just the weight of the contents, as one might expect. (But your analysis is perfectly correct.)

All good.

YAY THANKS! :D (that made my day)

But I still have the problem on differentiating internal and external forces. Any way to go about doing that??

unscientific said:
But I still have the problem on differentiating internal and external forces. Any way to go about doing that??
If a force is between two parts of the same system, then it is an internal force. In the example with the water and stone, the buoyant force is between water and stone--both part of the same system of stuff in the beaker--so it's an internal force. The string tension is a force between the string and the stone; since the string is not part of the system, the string force is an external force.

1. What happens when an iron ball is placed in water and then weighed on a weighing machine?

When an iron ball is placed in water, it displaces a certain amount of water based on its volume. The weight of the displaced water is equal to the weight of the iron ball. Therefore, when the ball is weighed on a weighing machine, it will show the same weight as it would on land.

2. Will the weight of the iron ball be affected by being submerged in water?

No, the weight of the iron ball will remain the same when submerged in water. This is because weight is a measurement of the force of gravity acting on an object, and this force does not change when an object is placed in water.

3. Why does the iron ball appear to be lighter when placed in water?

The iron ball appears to be lighter when placed in water because it is displacing a certain amount of water, which creates an upward force called buoyancy. This buoyant force partially offsets the weight of the iron ball, making it feel lighter.

4. How does the weight of the iron ball in water compare to its weight on land?

The weight of the iron ball in water is the same as its weight on land. However, the apparent weight may be different due to the buoyant force of the water. To accurately compare the weight, the ball must be weighed in the same conditions (i.e. in water or on land).

5. What factors can affect the weight of an iron ball when submerged in water?

The weight of the iron ball when submerged in water can be affected by the density of the water, the volume of the iron ball, and the depth at which it is submerged. The weight may also be influenced by the presence of other objects or substances in the water that could affect the buoyancy of the ball.