Iron rod - will flux link with disk above it

In summary, if an aluminium disk is placed above a completely vertical current carrying iron rod, there will be no flux links with the aluminium disk. However, on watching the following clip (first 40 seconds) it seems that the disk may be repelled.
jsmith613
If an aluminium disk is placed above a COMPLETELY vertical current carrying iron rod will any flux link with the aluminium disk...

Firstly, does it matter if the current is AC or DC. I presumed not as the only difference is that the magnetic field will vary in one case and stay constant in the other. The type of current would only be important if we were considering induced EMF.

Secondly, here is what I thought (but was not sure it was correct):
The rod is completely vertical so, as per the cork-screw rule the magnetic field should be circular around the rod. This would imply NO flux links with the aluminium disk.
However, on watching the following clip (first 40 seconds):

it seems I may have been mistaken. The only way I can see that the metallic disk is repelled is if flux DOES link with it. Perhaps also I am not comparing like with like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
perhaps this image will help
attachment.php?attachmentid=154620&d=1339056751.png

jsmith613 said:
Perhaps also I am not comparing like with like.
In your example, you have a vertical wire. In the video is a solenoid, made up of horizontal coils of wire. Different situations.

Doc Al said:
In your example, you have a vertical wire. In the video is a solenoid, made up of horizontal coils of wire. Different situations.

I realized that after...in my situation, however, would the disk be repelled...I presumed not as the magnetic field does not link with the disk...is this correct?

also would I be correct in thinking that the solenoid behaves like a bar magnet?

Last edited:
jsmith613 said:
I realized that after...in my situation, however, would the disk be repelled...I presumed not as the magnetic field does not link with the disk...is this correct?
That's what I would say.
also would I be correct in thinking that the solenoid behaves like a bar magnet?
Yes, close enough.

Doc Al said:
That's what I would say.

thanks a lot :)

Doc Al said:
That's what I would say.

Yes, close enough.

Is it irrelevant whether it is AC/DC
again I presumed it would be irrelevant?

jsmith613 said:
Is it irrelevant whether it is AC/DC
again I presumed it would be irrelevant?
I don't see how that would be relevant.

Doc Al said:
I don't see how that would be relevant.

ok thanks a lot :)

1. Will the iron rod always create a flux link with the disk above it?

Yes, as long as the iron rod and disk are in close proximity and there is a changing magnetic field, there will always be a flux link between them.

2. How does the iron rod create a flux link with the disk?

The iron rod creates a flux link with the disk through electromagnetic induction. When there is a changing magnetic field near the iron rod, it induces a current in the rod which in turn creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field then links with the disk, creating a flux link.

3. Can the strength of the flux link between the iron rod and disk be changed?

Yes, the strength of the flux link can be changed by altering the distance between the rod and disk, the strength of the magnetic field, or the material of the rod and disk.

4. How does the flux link between the iron rod and disk affect the movement of the disk?

The flux link between the iron rod and disk can create a force on the disk, causing it to move. This is known as electromagnetic induction, where the changing magnetic field induces a current in the disk, creating a force on it.

5. Is the flux link between the iron rod and disk a permanent connection?

No, the flux link between the iron rod and disk is not a permanent connection. It is dependent on the presence of a changing magnetic field and the proximity of the rod and disk. Once these factors are removed, the flux link will also cease to exist.