Is 1 degree F > 1degree C ?

• Thread starter alijan kk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary: I'm not sure that's true, but in any event, it won't give answer b.Maybe I misunderstood. Comparison of actual temperatures is asked. Try the formula, maybe?.Which of the following is true about the Celsius scale?(a)It is wider than the Fahrenheit scale.(b)It has 100 divisions while the Fahrenheit scale has 180 divisions.(c)It is colder than the Fahrenheit scale.(c)It is colder than the Fahrenheit scale.
alijan kk

Homework Statement

which of the following is correct
(a)1oC>1Fo
(b)1Fo>1oC
(c)1Fo=1oCo

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

F=1.8C+32
change of 1oC is greater than the change of 1oF or I can say it is warmer than change of one degree Fahrenheit.
In the book the answer is b that is 1 F>1C . Is it in any way possible ?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you conclude that change of 1 degree C is greater than change of 1 degree F?

Chandra Prayaga said:
How did you conclude that change of 1 degree C is greater than change of 1 degree F?
because there are 100 divisions in centigrade scale and 180 divisions in Fahrenheit scale.

alijan kk said:
Can you post a picture of the problem from your book? You can use the Upload button to upload a PDF or JPEG file...

Likes SammyS
alijan kk said:
F=1.8C+32
change of 1oC is greater than the change of 1oF or I can say it is warmer than change of one degree Fahrenheit.
They are not asking whether a change in 1 degree on the Celsius scale more than a 1 deg. change on the Fahrenheit scale.

The question is asking whether 1° F is warmer than 1° C.

Likes Bystander
Mark44 said:
The question is asking whether 1° F is warmer than 1° C.

I'm not sure that's true, but in any event, it won't give answer b.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm not sure that's true, but in any event, it won't give answer b.
Yeah, that's why I edited my Post #4 from saying what Mark44 said, and just asking for clarification of the question. Answer "b" doesn't seem correct, but there could be something else going on with the question...

The question seems pretty unambiguous to me.

Chestermiller said:
The question seems pretty unambiguous to me.
I guess I could be missing the obvious, and we can't give away the solution to homework on the PF, but still...

A degree C is wider than a degree F. And 1 degree C is higher on the thermometer than 1 degree F. So I'm having trouble seeing how "b" could the the solution to the problem... Can you send me a PM to help me out? Thanks! :smile:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Xczv0eYTL._SX425_.jpg
61Xczv0eYTL._SX425_.jpg

Attachments

• 61Xczv0eYTL._SX425_.jpg
    61Xczv0eYTL._SX425_.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 779
Last edited:
Wait, I've got it finally!

It's asking for which is last alphabetically (higher ASCII representation)! Duh! :smile:

I'm not sure if you are looking for what ASCII represents or what the actual picture scale of the thermometer represents. You can figure by using or making a graph of F versus C, based on any points of use - like example boiling and freezing points for water. Look at the slope, how 1 unit C and 1 unit F compare. Make Sense?

symbolipoint said:
I'm not sure if you are looking for what ASCII represents or what the actual picture scale of the thermometer represents. You can figure by using or making a graph of F versus C, based on any points of use - like example boiling and freezing points for water. Look at the slope, how 1 unit C and 1 unit F compare. Make Sense?
Sorry, does that lead to selection (b)?

EDIT -- Wait, are you suggesting that we take the derivative with respect to the Kelvin scale? Boy, it seems like we are reaching pretty far to justify what the OP has posted so far...

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Sorry, does that lead to selection (b)?

EDIT -- Wait, are you suggesting that wetake the derivative with respect to the Kelvin scale? Boy, it seems like we are reaching pretty far to justify what the OP has posted so far...
My description is not so complicated. Too simple!

alijan kk said:

Homework Statement

which of the following is correct
(a)1oC>1Fo
(b)1Fo>1oC
(c)1Fo=1oCo

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

F=1.8C+32
Maybe I misunderstood. Comparison of actual temperatures is asked. Try the formula, maybe?.

Choose (a), based on both using the formula, and using the picture of the F and C scales in the picture.

symbolipoint said:
berkeman said:
I guess I could be missing the obvious, and we can't give away the solution to homework on the PF, but still...

A degree C is wider than a degree F. And 1 degree C is higher on the thermometer than 1 degree F. So I'm having trouble seeing how "b" could the the solution to the problem... Can you send me a PM to help me out? Thanks! :smile:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Xczv0eYTL._SX425_.jpg
View attachment 229266
so 1 degree is wider than 1 fahrenheit.

1. Is 1 degree Fahrenheit greater than 1 degree Celsius?

No, 1 degree Fahrenheit is not greater than 1 degree Celsius. In fact, 1 degree Fahrenheit is equivalent to -17.22 degrees Celsius. This is because the Fahrenheit scale is based on the freezing and boiling points of water, while the Celsius scale is based on the melting and boiling points of water.

2. How do you convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius?

To convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius, you can use the formula: (°F - 32) x 5/9 = °C. For example, to convert 50 degrees Fahrenheit to Celsius, you would use the formula: (50 - 32) x 5/9 = 9 x 5/9 = 4.44 degrees Celsius.

3. Why is the Fahrenheit scale still used in the United States?

The Fahrenheit scale was developed by a German physicist, Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit, in the early 18th century. It was widely used in Europe and later adopted in the United States. Despite the majority of the world using the Celsius scale, the Fahrenheit scale is still used in the United States due to historical reasons and familiarity with the scale.

4. Is the difference between a degree Fahrenheit and a degree Celsius always the same?

No, the difference between a degree Fahrenheit and a degree Celsius is not always the same. The size of a degree on the Fahrenheit scale is smaller than a degree on the Celsius scale. This means that a change of 1 degree Fahrenheit does not always equal a change of 1 degree Celsius.

5. Which temperature scale is more commonly used in scientific research?

The Celsius scale is the most commonly used temperature scale in scientific research. This is because the Celsius scale is based on the metric system and is more consistent and easier to use in scientific calculations. Additionally, most scientific research is conducted internationally, making the Celsius scale a more universal and practical choice.