I Is Acceleration frame-dependent? (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

I was thinking about the geodesics equations and I realised that a particle will not have acceleration if the connection coefficients vanish, which (I think) is to say we are attatching a inertial frame to the particle. But if we attach a non-inertial frame to the particle, it will probably have acceleration. Nothing new to this point as it works this way even in Newtonian mechanics.

The problem seems to be this: we might be on a flat space-time but using "curved" coordinates. Then in general the particle will be accelerating. Then General Relativity would dictate that the particle is in a gravitational field. Paradox?

Edit: or.... maybe this is not a problem as the equivalence principle says that the space-time is locally flat and the geodesics equation is for analysing a curve only locally?

A.T.

Science Advisor
The problem seems to be this: we might be on a flat space-time but using "curved" coordinates. Then in general the particle will be accelerating.
Coordinate acceleration is frame dependent. Proper acceleration is frame independent.

I realised that a particle will not have acceleration if the connection coefficients vanish,
This is not generally true as stated. Do you mean “an inertial particle will not have coordinate acceleration if the connection coefficients vanish”? Please revise your OP paying careful to distinguish between an inertial particle and a non inertial particle and to distinguish between coordinate acceleration and proper acceleration.

Then General Relativity would dictate that the particle is in a gravitational field. Paradox?
No paradox. The “gravitational field” describes by the connection coefficients (aka Christoffel symbols) is frame variant.

haushofer

Science Advisor
I'd say, "Then locally, GR dictates that the accelerated particle can also be described as if freely falling in a gravitational field".

As if. This is just the equiv.princ.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving