Is Dark Energy Really Driving the Expansion of the Universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of the universe and the existence of dark energy. It is observed that the universe is expanding at an increasing speed, leading to the speculation of dark energy. The individual asking the question wonders if this acceleration could be explained by the initial increase in velocity, similar to a ball being thrown upwards. However, it is explained that the behavior of the expansion does not match this model and that something else, referred to as dark energy, is responsible for the accelerated expansion. There is also a discussion about the difference between dark matter and dark energy, with dark energy being the current term for whatever is causing the acceleration. The conversation ends with the clarification that the data supports the idea of dark energy being the cause of the
Allen_Wolf
I have a doubt on the expansion of the universe. In the recent years, it has been observed that the universe is expanding in an increasing speed. So the existence of dark energy was suggested. Actually is the speculation that the universe is expanding in an increasing speed because of dark matter necessary of true?
When we throw a ball upwards, first its velocity increases from zero to a certain level and then it decelerates into zero and again increases and finally comes to zero. Then couldn't the current accelerating expansion be considered as the initial increase in velocity as in the case of the ball? Why is it believed that dark energy drives the expansion. I would like to know there reason behind it.
If this is far fetched and such questions aren't allowed in PF then please forgive me.

Space news on Phys.org
Be careful not to confuse dark matter with dark energy, they are completely different phenomena.
We know almost nothing about whatever force it is that is causing accelerated expansion, but it is observed to be happening.
People have tried tinkering with relativity theory and other mathematical approaches to explaining it, but as far as I know, there isn't a hypothesis so far which looks convincing.

Allen_Wolf said:
I have a doubt on the expansion of the universe. In the recent years, it has been observed that the universe is expanding in an increasing speed. So the existence of dark energy was suggested. Actually is the speculation that the universe is expanding in an increasing speed because of dark matter necessary of true?
When we throw a ball upwards, first its velocity increases from zero to a certain level and then it decelerates into zero and again increases and finally comes to zero. Then couldn't the current accelerating expansion be considered as the initial increase in velocity as in the case of the ball? Why is it believed that dark energy drives the expansion. I would like to know there reason behind it.
If this is far fetched and such questions aren't allowed in PF then please forgive me.
This misunderstanding (that the acceleration of the universe isn't real) is regularly debunked here. I suggest a forum search.

Ned Wright's cosmology FAQ (which is worth reading in its entirety, along with his tutorial, in any case) has a good brief explanation of the data that leads us to believe the expansion is accelerating (more precisely, that it has been accelerating for the past few billion years--before that, it was decelerating).

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html#CC

PeterDonis said:
Ned Wright's cosmology FAQ (which is worth reading in its entirety, along with his tutorial, in any case) has a good brief explanation of the data that leads us to believe the expansion is accelerating (more precisely, that it has been accelerating for the past few billion years--before that, it was decelerating).

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html#CC
I just read the article.
But sir it is given that the expansion would have been slower in the past. It is just like in the case of the ball which i have mentioned. Until the ball reached certain point, it had been accelerating. So on looking to the past from that point one could see that the acceleration was happening slower.
And i do not question the expansion. It is only why the existence of dark matter which is added to the theory that I'm doubted on.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood something or failed to grasp something from your honorable posts

Allen_Wolf said:
it is given that the expansion would have been slower in the past.

For a few billion years into the past, yes. But farther back than that, the expansion would have been faster. In other words, if we look at the behavior of expansion from the Big Bang on, it first slowed down for billions of years, then started speeding up.

Allen_Wolf said:
It is just like in the case of the ball which i have mentioned.

No, it isn't. The case of the ball does not reproduce the entire behavior I described above.

Allen_Wolf said:
It is only why the existence of dark matter which is added to the theory that I'm doubted on.

Do you mean dark matter or dark energy? They're not the same thing, as rootone has pointed out. Dark energy is our current term for whatever it is that is causing the expansion to accelerate. Dark matter is our current term for whatever it is that makes large bound systems like galaxies behave as if their total mass is larger than what can be accounted for by adding up all the mass we can see.

Do you mean dark matter or dark energy? They're not the same thing, as rootone has pointed out. Dark energy is our current term for whatever it is that is causing the expansion to accelerate. Dark matter is our current term for whatever it is that makes large bound systems like galaxies behave as if their total mass is larger than what can be accounted for by adding up all the mass we can see.
Sir I meant dark energy

Allen_Wolf said:
I meant dark energy

Ok, so what do you "doubt" with regard to dark energy? We've already shown that your "ball" model can't account for what we actually observe; or, in more general terms, the accelerating expansion we currently see can't just be the product of the initial impulse given by the Big Bang. Something else must be at work, and "dark energy" is what we call that something else.

Thank you for your reply sir.
And my doubt is cleared.

PeterDonis said:
... or, in more general terms, the accelerating expansion we currently see can't just be the product of the initial impulse given by the Big Bang. Something else must be at work, and "dark energy" is what we call that something else.
Just to understand you correctly, the data are still consistent with the assumption, that the accelerated expansion is caused by the Cosmological Constant, right?

timmdeeg said:
Just to understand you correctly, the data are still consistent with the assumption, that the accelerated expansion is caused by the Cosmological Constant, right?

The Cosmological Constant is one particular subtype of dark energy, so yes. But that still doesn't tell us why there is a Cosmological Constant and why it has the value it has. So calling it a Cosmological Constant doesn't really say anything more than calling it dark energy, except that it commits you to the belief that its value is the same everywhere.

Allen_Wolf said:
When we throw a ball upwards, first its velocity increases from zero to a certain level

My ball doesn't do that. It starts decelerating right away after I finished pushing it.

nikkkom said:
My ball doesn't do that. It starts decelerating right away after I finished pushing it.
Your ball still goes from 0 to a specific velocity. It doesn't go from 0 to 0.

elusiveshame said:
Your ball still goes from 0 to a specific velocity. It doesn't go from 0 to 0.

Well, it's not a mystery why it's doing that. I'm pushing on it.

Allen_Wolf seems to think that Universe and thrown balls accelerate by themselves.

What is the expansion of the universe?

The expansion of the universe refers to the continuous increase in the distance between galaxies and other celestial bodies. This phenomenon was first observed by astronomer Edwin Hubble in the 1920s.

What is causing the expansion of the universe?

The expansion of the universe is believed to be caused by dark energy, a mysterious force that counteracts gravity and causes the universe to accelerate its expansion. However, the exact nature of dark energy is still not fully understood.

How fast is the expansion of the universe?

The expansion rate of the universe is measured by the Hubble constant, which is currently estimated to be around 70 km/s per megaparsec. This means that for every megaparsec (3.26 million light years) of distance, galaxies are moving away from each other at a rate of 70 km/s.

Will the expansion of the universe ever stop?

Based on current observations and theories, it is believed that the expansion of the universe will continue indefinitely. However, the rate of expansion may change over time depending on the amount of dark energy present.

What does the expansion of the universe mean for the future of our universe?

As the universe continues to expand, the distance between galaxies will increase and they will eventually become too far apart to interact with each other. This is known as the "Big Freeze" scenario, where the universe will become cold and dark. However, this is just one of several possible outcomes and more research is needed to fully understand the fate of our universe.