Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Is it possible to solve this question on cross sectional area / tensile strength ?

1. Jul 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A medium carbon annealed steel rod has a rectangular cross section and must cope with a tension of 3 tonnes. The thickness of the rod is 15mm. Calculate the size of the cross section.

2. Relevant equations

???? The only formula I know with CSA and force is: stress = Force / Area ????

3. The attempt at a solution

I've not yet worked out a way to even attempt an answer...
    I know the load is 29430N (3000 x 9.81) but I'm not sure how to evolve this into useful data!?

Can this be solved with this level of info??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2011 #2
    Re: Is it possible to solve this question on cross sectional area / tensile strength

If the rod is in direct tension, then stress = force / area. You will need to determine the "allowable stress" of annealed steel. A good starting point for tension is allowable stress = 60% X Yield Stress. You can solve for the unknown length of the rectangle.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook