1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to solve this question on cross sectional area / tensile strength ?

1. Jul 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A medium carbon annealed steel rod has a rectangular cross section and must cope with a tension of 3 tonnes. The thickness of the rod is 15mm. Calculate the size of the cross section.

2. Relevant equations

???? The only formula I know with CSA and force is: stress = Force / Area ????

3. The attempt at a solution

I've not yet worked out a way to even attempt an answer...
    I know the load is 29430N (3000 x 9.81) but I'm not sure how to evolve this into useful data!?

Can this be solved with this level of info??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2011 #2
    Re: Is it possible to solve this question on cross sectional area / tensile strength

If the rod is in direct tension, then stress = force / area. You will need to determine the "allowable stress" of annealed steel. A good starting point for tension is allowable stress = 60% X Yield Stress. You can solve for the unknown length of the rectangle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook