Is Kleppner/Kolenkow's second edition worth buying?

In summary, there is a large difference between the first and second editions of the book discussed in the conversation. The first edition is considered vastly superior, as is often the case with earlier editions of math and physics books. However, the second edition does have some improvements in the section on relativity and may be a better option for those specifically interested in that topic. Overall, it is recommended to buy whichever edition is cheaper, as the differences between the two are small.
DigitalCrush
I have access to a copy of the first edition and would like to use this book to strengthen what I've learned in my first physics course in Engineering school. I know there is a second edition though, and I was wondering if the difference between the two is large enough to justify just buying that one instead.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there is a large difference between the two editions. The first one is vastly superior.

micromass said:
Yes, there is a large difference between the two editions. The first one is vastly superior.

Well, I wasn't expecting that. Why is the first one better? All I've noticed is that the second one seems to have more exercises.

Not sure for Kleppner and Kolenkow, but usually earlier editions of Math books and Physics books are superior. For example, Thomas Calculus with Analytical Geometry, is now in its 13? ed. The first 3 editions are superior to the stuff that is out now. Halliday and Resnick : Physics, has also suffered the same fate. Geometry by Jacobs also comes to mind.

I originally owned the 1st edition, then lost it and replaced it with the 2nd. There's almost no difference that I could detect.

bcrowell said:
Good point. However, they still use relativistic mass :-(

I wrote an amazon review a while back that compares the 1st and 2nd editions:

https://www.amazon.com/review/R36MZ...e&nodeID=283155&store=books&tag=pfamazon01-20

I haven't learned absolutely anything about relativity yet, and I'm don't know what that convention you're talking about is. Would you say I shouldn't learn relativity from this book? Even then, are the other parts good enough on the first edition, or should I buy the new one?

DigitalCrush said:
I haven't learned absolutely anything about relativity yet, and I'm don't know what that convention you're talking about is. Would you say I shouldn't learn relativity from this book? Even then, are the other parts good enough on the first edition, or should I buy the new one?

Definitely do not learn relativity from a book as antiquated as K&K.

DigitalCrush said:
I have access to a copy of the first edition and would like to use this book to strengthen what I've learned in my first physics course in Engineering school. I know there is a second edition though, and I was wondering if the difference between the two is large enough to justify just buying that one instead.

Thank you.

The section on relativity is better in the second edition (still not very good). They also moved/omitted some vector calculus/math topics around from chapter 5, I believe it was. Overall still the same great book. BC's review is very well written.

I would buy whichever you can find cheaper, the delta between the two editions is small.

Likes bcrowell

1. Is the second edition of Kleppner/Kolenkow's book significantly different from the first edition?

Yes, the second edition includes new content and updates to previous material. It also has a new layout and design, making it easier to read and understand.

2. Are there any major changes in the second edition that make it worth buying?

Yes, the second edition has been revised and updated to include the latest research and developments in the field. It also includes new examples and exercises to help improve understanding of the concepts.

3. Is the second edition more expensive than the first edition?

Yes, typically the second edition of a book will be more expensive than the first edition. This is because it contains new and updated material, which requires additional resources to produce.

4. Can I still use the first edition if I can't afford to buy the second edition?

Yes, you can still use the first edition of Kleppner/Kolenkow's book for learning about physics. However, keep in mind that the second edition may have more updated information and may be more helpful in understanding recent developments in the field.

5. Is the second edition worth buying if I have already studied physics in depth?

Yes, the second edition may still be worth buying even if you have a strong understanding of physics. It may provide a different perspective or new insights on familiar concepts, and the updated material may help you stay current with the latest advancements in the field.