1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is my Power Supply Circuit correct in the recreated version?

1. Oct 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So the circuit drawing is in this link http://i.imgur.com/jVYm5La.jpg . Basically, we have to create a power supply circuit and using Livewire and PCB wizard program in conjunction, I created this circuit

2. Relevant equations
    None?

3. The attempt at a solution

8ldwiXr.png
    yarwK2Q.png

I can't seem to know exactly if this is correct or wrong when I recreate this using the program. I tried using the Play function in Livewire and the green current seems to have no Voltage. I'm also wondering if I misplaced some polarity of the Voltage regulators there.

Sorry, I'm a bit new to using these programs

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2016 #2

lewando

Gold Member

A couple of observations: Your pots are not correctly connected. F1 is not serving any purpose.

4. Oct 5, 2016 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Looks like the fuse is in the wrong place.

I think you will need a pair of bridge rectifiers—one for each side of the power supply.

Are you going to use a transformer between the 220V and your rectifier?

5. Oct 5, 2016 #4

I completely forgot though, the transformer is a step-down one so the input would only be 25V

Edit: How about the Voltage regulators? Is there something wrong with it?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  6. Oct 5, 2016 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

By this I mean one bridge rectifier for the positive regulator, and a second bridge rectifier for the negative regulator.

I think you should search on google for a few schematics of a dual regulated power supply, and model your circuit on those.

7. Oct 5, 2016 #6

Tom.G

Science Advisor

The output terminals (both of them) are connected to the wrong spot.

I second the suggestion by @NascentOxygen about a Google search for schematics.

Although your basic circuit architecture can work in some conditions, please consider using a transformer with a Center Tapped secondary or two individual secondaries.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  8. Oct 11, 2016 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, very. You're mixing up the output vs. ref pins and then the circuit needs to be still further reconfigured (basically R1 ⇔ R2 and R3 ⇔R4 value-wise). Look more carefully at how the lm317 is supposed to be hooked up. Same with the lm337. As in here http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm317.pdf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted