Is my Power Supply Circuit correct in the recreated version?

In summary, the conversation discusses a power supply circuit that needs to be created using Livewire and PCB wizard programs. There are concerns about the placement of components, such as the fuse and pots, and the need for a transformer and bridge rectifiers. Additionally, there are issues with the voltage regulators, which need to be reconfigured. Suggestions are made to search for schematics and to carefully review the correct hook-up for the LM317.
AilingLore21

Homework Statement

So the circuit drawing is in this link http://i.imgur.com/jVYm5La.jpg . Basically, we have to create a power supply circuit and using Livewire and PCB wizard program in conjunction, I created this circuit

Homework Equations

None?

The Attempt at a Solution

8ldwiXr.png

yarwK2Q.png

[/B]
I can't seem to know exactly if this is correct or wrong when I recreate this using the program. I tried using the Play function in Livewire and the green current seems to have no Voltage. I'm also wondering if I misplaced some polarity of the Voltage regulators there.

Sorry, I'm a bit new to using these programs

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of observations: Your pots are not correctly connected. F1 is not serving any purpose.

Looks like the fuse is in the wrong place.

I think you will need a pair of bridge rectifiers—one for each side of the power supply.

Are you going to use a transformer between the 220V and your rectifier?

NascentOxygen said:
Looks like the fuse is in the wrong place.

I think you will need a pair of bridge rectifiers—one for each side of the power supply.

Are you going to use a transformer between the 220V and your rectifier?
I completely forgot though, the transformer is a step-down one so the input would only be 25V

Edit: How about the Voltage regulators? Is there something wrong with it?

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
By this I mean one bridge rectifier for the positive regulator, and a second bridge rectifier for the negative regulator.

I think you should search on google for a few schematics of a dual regulated power supply, and model your circuit on those.

The output terminals (both of them) are connected to the wrong spot.

I second the suggestion by @NascentOxygen about a Google search for schematics.

Although your basic circuit architecture can work in some conditions, please consider using a transformer with a Center Tapped secondary or two individual secondaries.

Last edited:
AilingLore21 said:
Edit: How about the Voltage regulators? Is there something wrong with it?
Yes, very. You're mixing up the output vs. ref pins and then the circuit needs to be still further reconfigured (basically R1 ⇔ R2 and R3 ⇔R4 value-wise). Look more carefully at how the lm317 is supposed to be hooked up. Same with the lm337. As in here http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm317.pdf

1. How can I determine if my power supply circuit is correct in the recreated version?

The best way to determine if your power supply circuit is correct is by testing it. Use a multimeter to check the voltage at various points in the circuit and compare it to the expected values. You can also use an oscilloscope to check for any unwanted noise or fluctuations in the output.

2. What are the most common mistakes to look out for in a recreated power supply circuit?

Some common mistakes in recreated power supply circuits include incorrect wiring or connections, using incorrect components, and not taking into account the power requirements of the circuit. It is important to double check your work and make sure all components are properly connected.

3. How can I troubleshoot my power supply circuit if it is not working?

If your power supply circuit is not working, start by checking the power source and making sure it is providing the correct voltage. Then, check for any loose or incorrect connections, damaged components, or incorrect wiring. You can also consult the circuit diagram and compare it to your recreation to identify any potential issues.

4. Can I use different components in my power supply circuit?

In most cases, yes, you can use different components in your power supply circuit as long as they have similar specifications and are suitable for the desired output. However, it is important to carefully consider the power requirements and make sure the components can handle the load.

5. What safety precautions should I take when working with a power supply circuit?

Always make sure to disconnect the power source before working on the circuit. Wear protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses, and avoid touching any exposed wires or components. It is also important to double check your work and consult a professional if you are unsure about any aspect of the circuit.