1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the electric field zero?

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two point charges are placed along a horizontal axis with the following values and positions: +3.0 �C at x = 0 cm and -7.0 �C at x = 20 cm. At what point along the x axis is the electric field zero?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Can I just set Ea = Eb
    Ea = K*A/R^2
    Eb = K*B/R^2

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2
    thats the basic idea.
    but keep in mind that the distances will be different (the R's) and thats what you need to solve for.
    Make 2 variables R1 and R2 (for each distance), how are they related?

4. Apr 21, 2008 #3
    Oh I thought the distance was just the distance between A and B....but its the distance from point A to the point where the electric field and same for B?

5. Apr 21, 2008 #4
    correct. this is a little strange, we're using the method of a "test charge" which essentially means a pretend charge (you can call the charge "q" but it should always end up canceling in cases like this). a test charge is a way to "test" the field at a certain point where there isn't actually a charge. if you use the distance R (from A to B), that will give you the field at A and at B, note that the forces will be the same at those points (in accordance with newton's second law), but you are looking for a point inbetween the A and B where the pulls (or pushes) are equal and cancel eachother out.

6. Apr 21, 2008 #5
    So I just use R?

7. Apr 21, 2008 #6
    no.
    you have to use R1 and R2, where R1 + R2 = R (the total distance)

8. Apr 21, 2008 #7
    I don't get it lol...I'm sorry...

9. Apr 21, 2008 #8
    Ea = Eb
    Ea = K*A/R1^2
    Eb = K*B/R2^2
    where R2 = R - R1 (in this case R = 20cm the total distance between A and B).
    |---------------|-----------------------------|
    A_____________C_________________________B
    |------R1------||--------------R2------------|
    |-------------------R-------------------------|
    You're are trying to find the point C, such that the field (or force) is zero.
    How about that?

10. Apr 21, 2008 #9
    Oh wow thanks :)....I see now....So I end up with...
    Ea = K*A/R1^2
    Eb = K*B/(R-R1)^2

A/R1^2 = B/(R-R1)^2
    And I solve for R1??

11. Apr 21, 2008 #10
    exactly!
    More importantly, does it makes sense why we set it up like that?

12. Apr 21, 2008 #11
    Yup I completely understand why you set it up like that...thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?