Is the Frequency of an Electron Realistic for Acceleration in an Accelerator?

In summary: At these energies and distances, you don't have to worry about the quantum nature of the electron, except insofar as it affects its mass and momentum.So, the frequency of the electron itself doesn't matter, but the frequency at which you swap the electric field does. This frequency will be determined by the voltage you use and the distances between the electrodes. In summary, the frequency you calculated is not relevant to your accelerator design.
Christophe.V
I wanted to calculate the frequency of an electron. The problem is that I just don't get a realistic value.

E=hf

In which:
h=4.135 667 33×10 −15 eV s
E=mc2+30keV (-> e.g. the energy of a tv)
Masselectron=9.10938215×10 −31 kg
c=299 792 458 m s-1

So:
(9.10938215×10 −31 kg * (299 792 458 m s-1)2) + 30keV= hf

8.1871*10-14J +30 keV=hf
541000 eV=hf
(541000 eV)/(h)=f
(541000 eV)/(4.135 667 33×10 −15 eV s)=f
f=1.308*1020 s-1

Isn't this a non-realistic number? How can they accelerate electrons in an accelerator if the frequency is so big? Or (which is probably more realistic) where am I wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You use wrong formula, that formula is for photons.

For particles in general you must use:

[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{p}[/tex]

where lambda is wavelenght, h is plack constant and p is relativistic momentum.

For photons, E = p, that is why E=hf is valid for photons (and other massless) particle only.

Next time, this should be put in the home-work part of the Forum, it seems to me that this is HW

Good luck

Thanks, I thought on it a whole time!

It was no homework. I'm building a linear particle accelerator at home (so not for school) and I wanted to calculate the frequency. BTW; I live in Belgium. We have holiday now :smile:.

ok, cool

Good luck with that accelerator!

You know you can build an accelerator with just a couple of batteries yes? ;)

No, I just wanted to take the electron gun out of a tv and connect it to a vacuum tube etc.

What do you mean with the batteries?

Before you get too far with your particle accelerator, what exactly is this "frequency" you are looking for, and how does it effect what you are doing? Do you understand how the accelerator is supposed to work? (For example, in the equations you wrote, you never mentioned the velocity of the particle.)

Christophe.V said:
How can they accelerate electrons in an accelerator if the frequency is so big?

Why do you think the frequency that you calculated has anything to do with accelerating the electrons?

I'm not yet building the accelerator, just researching the possibilities. I opened a crt monitor and saw how it worked. I think I'll make a hole in the screen and connect it to a tube. Then the electrodes will be attracted by a high voltage at the end of the tube and accelerate. First I thought of changing the voltage and placing different electrodes (see below), but if the frequency is that big, it would never be possible, right?

This is what I thought, correct me if I'm wrong:

An electron is accelerated by the positive voltage of the first electrode, after it comes out of the electron gun. When it is in the first electrode, the voltages becomes negative, so when it comes out of the electrode, it is pushed away to the next electrode, where the voltage is positive etc. If that's right, the voltage have to be changed very quick, isn't it? (see: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_linac_en.svg/800px-Wideroe_linac_en.svg.png)

I know that's not the way how a synchrotron works, but that's not what I wanted to make. Just a linac, based on a tv (btw: I have a hard deadline, in three weeks it have to be finished).

Just wanted to point out that there are some health issues that I hope you've considered. Basically, high voltages used plus possibility of x-ray emission when the electrons bombard a target. More info (not necessarily valid info), can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube#Health_concerns

Having said that...

Christophe.V said:
First I thought of changing the voltage and placing different electrodes (see below), but if the frequency is that big, it would never be possible, right?
Do you understand what this frequency is and its implications? If looks like you're using quantum mechanics in a situation which doesn't really require it. I don't want to sound patronising, just trying to help.

An electron is accelerated by the positive voltage of the first electrode, after it comes out of the electron gun. When it is in the first electrode, the voltages becomes negative, so when it comes out of the electrode, it is pushed away to the next electrode, where the voltage is positive etc. If that's right, the voltage have to be changed very quick, isn't it? (see: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_linac_en.svg/800px-Wideroe_linac_en.svg.png)
Negative voltage here really just means abundance of electrons. Positive means lack of electrons. This potential difference sets up an electric field, which acts to accelerate the electrons from the negative electrode to the positive one. Once the electrons arrive at the positive electrode, they will have a certain amount of energy. Assuming that the positive electrode is an annular ring, you will want the electrons to pass through the ring. So you'll need some way of focusing the electrons through the ring. This is what happens in a TV set, so you might already have a focused beam of electrons.

Once the electrons have passed through the ring, they will now be working against the potential. At this point, you'll want to swap the potential in the electrode to a negative potential. Swap it too early and you start to slow down the electrons before they've even reached the ring. Swap it too late and the electrons will have already been slowed down. The electrons will then travel onwards to the next electrode. Since you should have swapped the field around, this next electrode will be positively charged. Once the electrons have passed, you will want to swap the field again. It is the frequency that you have to swap the field which is important, not the frequency of the electron (E=hf).

DeShark said:
It is the frequency that you have to swap the field which is important, not the frequency of the electron (E=hf).

And the frequency at which you swap the field depends on the time it takes for the electron to travel from one electrode to the next, which depends on its velocity as it accelerates. You can consider the electron as a classical particle here (perhaps relativistic if you reach a high enough velocity), not as a quantum-mechanical one.

Would it be possible (but probably less efficient) to make a cascade of subsequent voltage differentials, + to - to + to -, each one shielded from the previous by a zero potential wall with a small hole through which the electrons will pass? This wall would prevent the electrons from "seeing" the positive voltage and being slowed down again by it. In that manner no switching voltages are needed and the same voltage drop can be applied again and again.

Christophe.V said:
Would it be possible (but probably less efficient) to make a cascade of subsequent voltage differentials, + to - to + to -, each one shielded from the previous by a zero potential wall with a small hole through which the electrons will pass? This wall would prevent the electrons from "seeing" the positive voltage and being slowed down again by it. In that manner no switching voltages are needed and the same voltage drop can be applied again and again.

Not as far as I can see. If you want the electron to go from a high potential to a low potential, then from high to low and repeat, you have to keep taking the electron from a low potential and putting it in a high potential. This takes energy. So on average, you'd be getting no acceleration at all.

I was in my lectures yesterday and the professor started off on a bit of a tangent about particle accelerators and how they function. It made me think immediately of this thread. He mentioned something which seemed very clever and possibly possible for you to achieve. Basically, you set up an electric field as you suggest, + - + - + - + -, etc, then you start to move the field slowly. The electrons will want to sit in the + sections of the electric field, so as you start to move the field, so the electrons move as well. In this way, the electrons are almost surfing the wave of this changing field.

The first particle accelerators though, according to him, were created simply using one big + to - potential. And of course the particles had to be placed in a vacuum to stop them from interacting with particles in the air.

Then you'll need some sort of way of detecting what's going on, so that you know that something's happening (or not).

Edit: After thinking about this electron surfing a little more, it's become apparent to me that this is exactly what was going on in the first instance I recommended to you. Basically, to set up this accelerating electric field, you will need to oscillate the electric field in the same switching on and off of electrodes that I was talking about before.
Also, to elaborate, this changing electric field is the only way (that I can see) that you can accelerate particles without just having one continuous potential drop.
Additionally, particles are focused using quite clever quadrupole magnets or some other arrangement of magnets.

Edit 2: I found a nice diagram explaining this surfing electrons: http://particleadventure.org/accel_particles.html

Last edited:
Christophe.V said:
I wanted to calculate the frequency of an electron. The problem is that I just don't get a realistic value.

E=hf

In which:
h=4.135 667 33×10 −15 eV s
E=mc2+30keV (-> e.g. the energy of a tv)
Masselectron=9.10938215×10 −31 kg
c=299 792 458 m s-1

So:
(9.10938215×10 −31 kg * (299 792 458 m s-1)2) + 30keV= hf

8.1871*10-14J +30 keV=hf
541000 eV=hf
(541000 eV)/(h)=f
(541000 eV)/(4.135 667 33×10 −15 eV s)=f
f=1.308*1020 s-1

Isn't this a non-realistic number? How can they accelerate electrons in an accelerator if the frequency is so big? Or (which is probably more realistic) where am I wrong? Thanks!
I haven't controlled your computations, but there isn't anything strange in that result. Electrons are used instead of light in high resolution (electron) microscopes exactly for that reason (higher frequency = lower wavelenght = greater resolution).

E = hf is correct even for electrons.

Of course a particle's frequency has *nothing* to do with the accelerator's frequency.

Last edited:

Related to Is the Frequency of an Electron Realistic for Acceleration in an Accelerator?

1. What is the frequency of an electron?

The frequency of an electron is a measure of how many times it oscillates per second. It is generally expressed in units of Hertz (Hz).

2. How is the frequency of an electron determined?

The frequency of an electron is determined by its energy level or orbital. Higher energy levels have higher frequencies, while lower energy levels have lower frequencies.

3. Does the frequency of an electron change?

Yes, the frequency of an electron can change. It can change when the electron absorbs or emits energy, such as when it moves to a different energy level or interacts with other particles.

4. Why is the frequency of an electron important?

The frequency of an electron is important because it is one of the fundamental properties of an electron. It helps determine the behavior and interactions of electrons in atoms and molecules, which in turn affects the properties and functions of matter.

5. Can the frequency of an electron be measured?

Yes, the frequency of an electron can be measured using various techniques such as spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the light emitted or absorbed by atoms or molecules. Other methods include electron diffraction and electron microscopy.