Is the Given Series Convergent?

• Thread starter DivGradCurl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the given series diverges because it is not a geometric series and the partial sums can be simplified using partial fraction decomposition. The simplified expression leads to a conclusion of infinity, therefore the series diverges.
DivGradCurl
[tex] \textrm{Is this correct? Thanks.} [/tex] :smile:

[tex] s = \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{\left( n+1 \right)^2}{n \left( n+2 \right)} [/tex]​

[tex] \textrm{This is not a geometric series, so we go back to the definition of a convergent series and compute the partial sums.} [/tex]

[tex] s_n = \sum _{i=1} ^n \frac{\left( i+1 \right)^2}{i\left( i+2 \right)} [/tex]​

[tex] \textrm{We can simplify this expression if we use the partial fraction decomposition} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\left( i+1 \right)^2}{i\left( i+ 2 \right)} = \frac{\frac{1}{2}\left( i+1 \right)^2}{i} - \frac{\frac{1}{2}\left( i+1 \right)^2}{i+2}. [/tex]​

[tex] \textrm{Thus, we have} [/tex]

[tex] s_n = \frac{1}{2} \sum _{i=1} ^n \left[ \frac{\left( i+1 \right)^2}{i} - \frac{\left( i+1 \right)^2}{i+2} \right] [/tex]​

[tex] s_n = \frac{1}{2} \left[ \left( 2^2 - \frac{2^2}{3} \right)+ \left( \frac{3^2}{2} - \frac{3^2}{4} \right) + \left( \frac{4^2}{3} - \frac{4^2}{5} \right) + \left( \frac{5^2}{4} - \frac{5^2}{6} \right) + \left( \frac{6^2}{5} - \frac{6^2}{7} \right) + \left( \frac{7^2}{6} - \frac{7^2}{8} \right) + \cdots + \frac{\left( n+1 \right)^2}{n} - \frac{\left( n+1 \right)^2}{n+2} \right] [/tex]​

[tex] s_n = \frac{1}{2} \left\{ \left( 2^2 + \frac{3^2}{2} \right)+ \left( \frac{4^2}{3} - \frac{2^2}{3} \right) + \left( \frac{5^2}{4} - \frac{3^2}{4} \right) + \left( \frac{6^2}{5} - \frac{4^2}{5} \right) + \left( \frac{7^2}{6} - \frac{5^2}{6} \right) + \left( \frac{8^2}{7} - \frac{6^2}{7} \right) + \cdots + \left[ \frac{\left( n+1 \right)^2}{n} - \frac{\left( n-1 \right)^2}{n} \right] - \frac{\left( n+1 \right)^2}{n+2} \right\} [/tex]​

[tex] s_n = \frac{1}{2} \left[ \frac{17}{2} + 4\left( n - 2 \right) - \frac{\left( n+1 \right)^2}{n+2} \right] [/tex]​

[tex] s_n = \frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{17}{2} + \frac{3n^2 -2n -17}{n+2} \right) [/tex]​

[tex] s_n = \frac{17}{4} + \frac{3n^2 -2n -17}{2n+4} [/tex]​

[tex] \textrm{and so} [/tex]

[tex] s = \lim _{n \to \infty} s_n = \frac{17}{4} + \lim _{n \to \infty} \frac{3n^2 -2n -17}{2n+4} [/tex]​

[tex] s = \frac{17}{4} + \lim _{n \to \infty} \frac{3n - 2 - \frac{17}{n}}{2+\frac{4}{n}}=\infty . [/tex]​

[tex] \textrm{Therefore, the given series diverges.} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, you shouldn't go that way, because (n+1)^2=n^2+2n+1
this means the formula in that SUM becomes 1+1/(n^2+2n), but sum of 1 till it comes to infinity is always infinite, so the second part [1/(n^2+2n)] can be ignored immediately. The conclusion is then infinity.

[tex] \textrm{I see what you mean} [/tex]

[tex] s = \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{\left( n+1 \right)^2}{n \left( n+2 \right)} = \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \left[ 1 + \frac{1}{2n} - \frac{1}{2 \left( n + 2 \right) } \right] = \infty .[/tex]​

[tex] \textrm{Therefore, the series diverges.} [/tex]

[tex] \textrm{That's certainly simpler. Thanks.} [/tex]

Related to Is the Given Series Convergent?

Question 1: What is a series in science?

A series in science refers to a sequence of related experiments or observations that are conducted in a specific order to test a hypothesis or answer a research question. It is a fundamental method used in scientific research to gather evidence and draw conclusions.

Question 2: How is a series different from a single experiment?

A series involves multiple experiments or observations that are conducted in a specific order and build upon each other to reach a conclusion. In contrast, a single experiment is a standalone test or observation that may not be directly related to other experiments.

Question 3: What are the benefits of using a series in scientific research?

Using a series allows for a more comprehensive and thorough investigation of a research question. It also helps to control for variables and increase the reliability and validity of the results. Additionally, a series can help to identify patterns and trends that may not be apparent in a single experiment.

Question 4: How do scientists determine the order of experiments in a series?

The order of experiments in a series is determined by the specific research question being investigated. Scientists carefully design the series to build upon previous results and test different variables in a logical and systematic way. The order may also be adjusted based on new information or unexpected results.

Question 5: Can a series be used in all fields of science?

Yes, a series can be used in all fields of science, from biology and chemistry to physics and psychology. It is a fundamental method of scientific inquiry and can be adapted to fit the specific needs of any research question or field of study.