Is the magnetic induction line closed

In summary, the conversation discusses a recent discovery of a non-closed magnetic induction line that goes through the center of a ring circuit, perpendicular to the circuit plane. This raises the question of whether all magnetic field lines are closed, to which the explanation is that they cannot start or end anywhere and if they extend to infinity, they do not begin or terminate. An example is given of the field lines along the axis of a bar magnet.
jomoonrain
It is said that every magnetic induction line is closed.but recently I happended to find one which isn't.
Consider the magnetic field generated by a ring form circuit, the magnetic induction line which I have found is not closed is the one that go through the center of the circuit,which is normal to the circuit plane.

Am I right? If not, then how to explain it?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to see it that way, it is closed in infinity (something like this with a going to infinity-- never mind the i in there).

What is meant by "magnetic field lines are closed" is that no magnetic field lines can start or end anywhere in space or on a material. Therefore, if they are finite, they have to be closed loops. If they extend to infinity on both sides, they automatically do not begin or terminate anywhere.

Another example would be the field lines along the axis of an ordinary bar magnet (image).

thank you very much.i've got it.

1. What is a magnetic induction line?

A magnetic induction line is a visual representation of the magnetic field around a magnet or a current-carrying wire. It shows the direction and strength of the magnetic field at different points in space.

2. How can you tell if a magnetic induction line is closed?

A magnetic induction line is considered closed when it forms a continuous loop without any breaks or gaps. This indicates that the magnetic field is circulating back to its original point, creating a closed circuit.

3. Why is it important for a magnetic induction line to be closed?

A closed magnetic induction line is essential for the creation of a stable and consistent magnetic field. This is important in many scientific and technological applications, such as generators, motors, and MRI machines.

4. Can a magnetic induction line ever be open?

Yes, in certain situations, a magnetic induction line can be open. This happens when the magnetic field is not circulating back to its original point, but instead, it continues infinitely in one direction. An example of this is the Earth's magnetic field, which extends into space and is considered open.

5. How does the concept of closed magnetic induction lines relate to Faraday's law of induction?

Faraday's law of induction states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor. The concept of closed magnetic induction lines is related to this law because, in order for induction to occur, the magnetic field lines must be closed, creating a continuous path for the induced current to flow.