Can Software Optimize Multipliers for Variable Probabilities?

• Thread starter danielci
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, you have a series of numbers with different multipliers (A,B,C,D). You need to compare the multiplied numbers among the others and optimize the multipliers to obtain the best case in terms of probability.
danielci
Hi all,
I have this challenge and I am not a math guy. Can you recommend a software to solve this kind of problem?
Apologies upfront, I am not mathematically savvy (and English is my 2nd language) and for sure there could be better ways to explain this.

You have 4 variable numbers: W,X,Y,Z
You have a serie of these numbers with 100 (400 numbers total) of them: W1to100, X1to100,Y1to100, Z1to100
For each serie of numbers (Wn,Xn,Yn,Zn) you have a multiplier (A,B,C,D) affecting the whole serie
You need to compare the multiplied numbers among the others like in this example:

Example:
W1*A>X1*B = TRUE
X1*B>Y1*C = FALSE
Z1*D>W1*A = TRUE

Once this calculation is made for the "n" (100) cases of W,X,Y,Z and the probability of the result is calculated (For the example: Probability of obtaining "True, False, True" in the rest of the serie)
you need to optimize the multipliers (A,B,C,D) to obtain the best case in terms of probability.

Please provide your suggestions regarding what software can solve this kind of optimization problem. I tried Excel already, it works for the calculation but not for the optimization unless done manually for each case of A,B,C,D

Thanks!
danielci

Physics news on Phys.org
If you Google for
Excel optimization
you can find lots of information on how to optimize in Excel.

Your problem seems similar to neural network training. There are dedicated software programs for this and other examples showing how to implement these in general purpose languages.

If you could provide information on what languages you already know, if any, outside Excel then that might help someone recommend a tool for you.

You might also provide a smaller example, perhaps 4x4 numbers with reasonable equations and show the process you want to go through. That is small enough to be understandable and still possible to work through to see exactly what you are asking for.

Bill, thank you for the guidance. I am an old time programmer who is a little bit rusty. I will follow your advice about Excel optimization. Also, a friend recommend me to try Lisp.
Regards
danielci

1. What types of problems can software solve?

Software can solve a wide range of problems, from simple calculations to complex data analysis and modeling. It can also be used for tasks such as organizing and managing data, automating processes, and creating visualizations.

2. How do I know if there is software available to solve my specific problem?

There are many resources available online for finding software that can solve specific problems. You can search for software in your field or industry, read reviews and comparisons, and reach out to colleagues or experts for recommendations.

3. Can I create my own software to solve a problem?

Yes, you can create your own software to solve a problem. Depending on the complexity of the problem, you may need programming skills or the help of a software developer. There are also tools and platforms available that allow non-technical individuals to create basic software solutions.

4. How do I choose the right software for my problem?

Choosing the right software involves considering factors such as the problem's complexity, your budget, and the software's features and capabilities. It's important to research and compare different options, and if possible, try out demos or free trials before making a decision.

5. Is there software that can solve problems in multiple fields or industries?

Yes, there are many software solutions that are versatile and can be used in various fields and industries. These may include tools for project management, data analysis, or communication, among others. It's important to carefully assess the features and capabilities of the software to determine if it can effectively solve your specific problem.