Is this the same organic side chain?

In summary, the conversation is about the ambiguity of the group (CH3)2HC- and its equivalent representation as C3H7. The speaker is unsure if their representation is correct and asks if they are right. The other speaker clarifies that (CH3)2CH- is isopropyl and C3H7- can be both isopropyl and n-propyl. They also mention that high school students should understand this basic concept.
kenshi64
Attached is the image of the desired structure, my question is based on what is pictured as (CH3)2HC- I represented this group as C3H7 which does seem like the logical equivalent, but just being safe here. Am I right?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Help.png
    Help.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
(CH3)2CH- is what would be called isopropyl, C3H7- is ambiguous as it can be both isopropyl and n-propyl.

Ah! Okay, But I'm just an international baccalaureate student if you know what that is, would they expect so much?!

Much? I would expect high school students to understand the ambiguity, after all this is a very basic isomerism and judging from the picture the question is about isomerism as well.

I would like to clarify that the representation of (CH3)2HC- as C3H7 is not entirely accurate. While they both contain the same number of carbon and hydrogen atoms, the arrangement and bonding of these atoms is different in each group. (CH3)2HC- refers to a tertiary carbon atom with two methyl groups attached, while C3H7 refers to a straight chain of three carbon atoms with a single hydrogen atom attached to each. Therefore, they are not the same organic side chain and cannot be used interchangeably. It is important to be precise in our representations in order to accurately convey chemical structures and reactions. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask.

Related to Is this the same organic side chain?

1. Is this organic side chain the same as the one I am looking for?

This is a common question when comparing different organic compounds. To determine if the side chain is the same, you can look at the chemical structure, molecular formula, and functional groups present. These characteristics can help identify if the side chain is the same.

2. Does the organic side chain have any biological significance?

Some organic side chains have biological significance and play important roles in biochemical reactions. To determine if the side chain has any biological significance, you can research its potential functions and interactions with other molecules.

3. How does this organic side chain impact the properties of the molecule?

The type and structure of an organic side chain can greatly impact the properties of a molecule. For example, a hydrophobic side chain may make a molecule less soluble in water. To understand the impact of an organic side chain, you can analyze the chemical and physical properties of the molecule.

4. Can this organic side chain be synthesized in a laboratory?

Some organic side chains can be synthesized in a laboratory, while others may only be found in nature. The ability to synthesize an organic side chain depends on the complexity and availability of the necessary starting materials and reaction conditions.

5. What are some common organic side chains and their uses?

There are many common organic side chains, such as alkyl, phenyl, and carboxyl groups. These side chains can have a variety of uses, including serving as functional groups in organic reactions, providing hydrophobic or hydrophilic properties to molecules, and interacting with specific receptors in biological systems.